[Full-Disclosure] PC/DRM Turing-completness (Re: Removing FIred admins)

From: Martin Mačok (martin.macok_at_underground.cz)
Date: 02/14/04

    To: full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com
    Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 23:37:04 +0100

    On Sat, Feb 14, 2004 at 02:25:16PM +0100, Benjamin Schweizer wrote:

    > | programs that it can run. Basically, if it has enough smarts to
    > | run a simulator of a Turing Machine, it's Turing-complete - and all
    > | you need for THAT is a decrement instruction, a 'test and skip next
    > | if zero' instruction, and a branch instruction.
    >
    > And unlimited memory (tapes). That's one reason why you can't build a
    > Turing-complete machine irl.

    You can. You don't have to build an *infinite* tape, *unlimited* is
    enough. Buy some tape, execute the instructions and buy a new tape
    or make (linear) space compression on demand. This way our PCs can
    be Turing-complete.

    Martin Mačok

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

    • Re: CDC Architecture [was: Re: products including PL/I compiler for Windows]
      ... there was some concurrency in the 6600 architecture. ... had several instruction units that could operate simultaneously; ... My favorite futile CDC product was called, I think, the Mass Storage ... it was a huge magnetic tape ...
      (comp.sys.cdc)
    • Re: Blast from the past... Z80!
      ... The ZX81 integrated the Z80 TTL in one chip. ... EPROM chip and a switch a ZX80 could be made as a "multi-boot" ... The saving to tape process was only moderately reliable at best. ... Why stop at one instruction per cycle? ...
      (sci.electronics.design)
    • Re: storage media - how things change!
      ... RIM was the one you toggled in. ... instruction sequence something like this, ... If you were lucky enough to have a high-speed tape reader, ... Guard us from the she-wolf and the wolf, and guard us from the thief, ...
      (rec.arts.sf.fandom)
    • Re: storage media - how things change!
      ... toggled in, you hit 'Run', and started the tape in the TTY. ... RIM was the one you toggled in. ... 7756 and pressed Load Address. ... instruction sequence something like this, ...
      (rec.arts.sf.fandom)
    • Re: storage media - how things change!
      ... in, you hit 'Run', and started the tape in the TTY. ... instruction sequence something like this, ... If you were lucky enough to have a high-speed tape reader, ...
      (rec.arts.sf.fandom)