Re: [Full-Disclosure] Important Notice about Security Watch Debate

From: James Bliss (james.bliss_at_comcast.net)
Date: 02/13/04

    To: "Keith Ward" <keith.ward@mcpmag.com>, <full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com>
    Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 17:13:15 -0600

    From your email it would appear that the 'battle lines' are already drawn.
    Anyone submitting 'essays' may get them published and then Roberta Bragg's
    response to those essays is published. Will the parties submitting the
    essays then be provided guaranteed space to rebut Roberta's responses? In a
    truely open forum that would be allowed.

    Perhaps some good advice for you would be:
    1) Learn how to program and how computers work (this does not include VBA
    scripts in an application, although script kiddies do like some of these).
    2) Practice, research, test, keep your mind open. Implement truely
    scientific testing methodologies with no restrictions on what is tested or
    how.
    3) Truthfully report what you learn with no preconceived notions or
    prejudices.

    Is that not what true journalistic integrity is about?

    On Thursday 12 February 2004 11:16, Keith Ward wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > When I wrote my pitch for articles on Microsoft security, I didn't
    > realize that Monday was President's Day, and a holiday for my company.
    > As such, there will be no Security Watch newsletter going out Monday
    > containing the essay for Roberta Bragg to respond to. It's totally my
    > fault; I hadn't checked the calendar.
    >
    > We will instead be publishing the article two days later, on Wednesday,
    > Feb. 18. Roberta's follow-up article will be published the following
    > Monday, Feb. 23. My apologies for any inconvenience this change of
    > schedule may cause.
    >
    > And thanks for the responses we've gotten thus far; by and large,
    > they're terrific! I'm thinking of ways to get many of the commentaries
    > published, since there have been so many excellent ones. I'd like to get
    > all essays in by close of business tomorrow.
    >
    > Best,
    >
    > Keith
    >
    > Keith Ward
    > Editor, Security Watch

    > Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    > Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

    • RE: [Full-Disclosure] Important Notice about Security Watch Debate
      ... The problem is that such an arrangement could go on and on -- Roberta ... as many responses as possible published in some manner. ... Anyone submitting 'essays' may get them published and then Roberta ... > We will instead be publishing the article two days later, ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • Re: Zinio for iPad
      ... where's the justification for online editions being ... I'm not completely convinced by that argument either, but it is well worth reading Charlie's Stross's essays on publishing at to understand how completely *weird* the publishing industry is. ...
      (uk.comp.sys.mac)
    • Update on the QuitList and an Opportunity
      ... finished with the emails to the TOFs this morning and now face over ... 200 responses that I'll build into the new list for 2011. ... connectivity and is a LOT cheaper than an i-Pad. ... So, anyone who wants the joy of tracking all our quits, publishing the ...
      (alt.support.stop-smoking)
    • Re: Studying English.....whats the deal?
      ... Wow....thanks for all your responses (and in some cases essays)! ... can't tell ya how much moral support it is... ...
      (rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated)
    • Re: wim media server works for 30 minutes
      ... it works for about 30 mins. ... publishing point is stopping (why? ... or expect to be disappointed in responses. ... Digital Media MVP: 2004-2006 ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsmedia)