Re: [Full-Disclosure] Oldest Hack Sept. 1970 Just for Fun

From: Peter J Hill (phill_at_andrew.cmu.edu)
Date: 02/04/04

    To: full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com
    Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 17:14:42 -0500

    On Feb 4, 2004, at 2:14 PM, Gary E. Miller wrote:
    > If I hear one more time that the internet was invented in the '90s,
    > or Al Gore invented it in the '80s, or MIT invented it in the '70s
    > I am gonna scream! We were hacking the net in the '60s!

    Of course the Internet has been around for in one way or another for a
    long time. My favorite account of the BBNs work is "Where Wizards Stay
    up Late"
    http://www.simonsays.com/titles/0684812010/wizards.html

    In defense of Al Gore, though... He never said that he invented the
    Internet. He said "During my service in the United States Congress, I
    took the initiative in creating the Internet. I took the initiative in
    moving forward a whole range of initiatives that have proven to be
    important to our country's economic growth and environmental
    protection, improvements in our educational system."
    http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.htm

    In the same manner that Ronald Reagan did not tear down the Berlin Wall
    or George Bush captured Saddam, Al Gore did not write the code to
    create the routers and work with his soldering gun or whatever was
    needed to "Create the Internet"

    The whole Al Gore thing is an politically created urban legend that
    does not need to continue to exist.

    Anyway... back to your regularly scheduled excitement...

    Peter Hill

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html