Re: [Full-Disclosure] Oldest Hack Sept. 1970 Just for Fun

From: Peter J Hill (phill_at_andrew.cmu.edu)
Date: 02/04/04

    To: full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com
    Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 17:14:42 -0500

    On Feb 4, 2004, at 2:14 PM, Gary E. Miller wrote:
    > If I hear one more time that the internet was invented in the '90s,
    > or Al Gore invented it in the '80s, or MIT invented it in the '70s
    > I am gonna scream! We were hacking the net in the '60s!

    Of course the Internet has been around for in one way or another for a
    long time. My favorite account of the BBNs work is "Where Wizards Stay
    up Late"
    http://www.simonsays.com/titles/0684812010/wizards.html

    In defense of Al Gore, though... He never said that he invented the
    Internet. He said "During my service in the United States Congress, I
    took the initiative in creating the Internet. I took the initiative in
    moving forward a whole range of initiatives that have proven to be
    important to our country's economic growth and environmental
    protection, improvements in our educational system."
    http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.htm

    In the same manner that Ronald Reagan did not tear down the Berlin Wall
    or George Bush captured Saddam, Al Gore did not write the code to
    create the routers and work with his soldering gun or whatever was
    needed to "Create the Internet"

    The whole Al Gore thing is an politically created urban legend that
    does not need to continue to exist.

    Anyway... back to your regularly scheduled excitement...

    Peter Hill

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

    • Re: FYI: Live Earth concert on BRAVO.
      ... and swearing they wouldn't vote for Gore after that. ... didn't he invent the Internet?! ... initiatives that have proven to be important to our country's economic ... if it ends up reducing carbon in the atmosphere, ...
      (rec.food.cooking)
    • Re: Samsung release laptops with solid state drives...
      ... I'm not sure why you guys can't accept that Al Gore told a whopper ... initiative in creating the Internet. ... forward a whole range of initiatives that have proven to be ... unconnected networks into an "Interagency Network." ...
      (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
    • Re: Impeach Bush? (NDC)
      ... heaps of incompetence & corruption, to blame Clinton or Gore, but... ... Gore did not claim he "invented" the Internet, ... whole range of initiatives that have proven to be important to our ... seriously trying to take credit for the "invention" of the Internet is, ...
      (rec.music.gdead)
    • Re: Awesome
      ... himself, like inventing the Internet. ... initiatives that have proven to be important to our country's economic ... Watching the debates, following the lines of dialog, Gore ... Strike 2 for referring to temper tantrums. ...
      (rec.music.progressive)
    • Re: Samsung release laptops with solid state drives...
      ... correct in stating he created the initiative for the internet. ... range of initiatives that have proven to be important to our country's ... Did you ever graduate from College? ... Many Republicans graduated from college without becoming brainwashed by the ...
      (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)