RE: [Full-Disclosure] Infections

John.Airey_at_rnib.org.uk
Date: 01/28/04

    To: full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com
    Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 09:45:26 -0000

    I have just spotted an infected email to another list that I am on that
    purported to come from me. It hadn't even touched my system. It looks like
    it doesn't just pick out emails that you have sent, but emails that you have
    received and fakes that From address.

    Therefore, those who have been hurling criticism about how people on a
    security list could get infected should go back and check the headers.
    They'll find that they didn't even originate from the allegedly infected
    person's mail server.

    Please be more careful before you criticise people on this list.

    Thank you.

    -
    John Airey, BSc (Jt Hons), CNA, RHCE
    Internet systems support officer, ITCSD, Royal National Institute of the
    Blind,
    Bakewell Road, Peterborough PE2 6XU,
    Tel.: +44 (0) 1733 375299 Fax: +44 (0) 1733 370848 John.Airey@rnib.org.uk

    Even if you win the rat race, that will still only make you a rat.

    -
    DISCLAIMER:

    and any attachments from your system.

    cannot accept any responsibility for any such which are transmitted.

    those of RNIB.

    RNIB Registered Charity Number: 226227

    Website: http://www.rnib.org.uk

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

    • [Full-Disclosure] Security Industry Under Scrutiny: Part One
      ... I shall make two important points, the historical basis for Full Disclosure ... I spend most of my working day on security issues, ... The information contained in this email and any attachments is ... RNIB has made strenuous efforts to ensure that emails and any ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • RE: [Full-Disclosure] gcc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 g ot fatal signal 11
      ... > weird compiler flags;) ... Even if you win the rat race, that will still only make you a rat. ... The information contained in this email and any attachments is ... RNIB endeavours to ensure that emails and any attachments generated by ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • RE: [Full-Disclosure] Dig SCO?
      ... > I guess I should have been more precise, how many requests ... Even if you win the rat race, that will still only make you a rat. ... The information contained in this email and any attachments is ... RNIB endeavours to ensure that emails and any attachments generated by ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • RE: [Full-Disclosure] Destroying PCs remotely?
      ... The Music of Senator Orrin Hatch is at www.hatchmusic.com. ... The information contained in this email and any attachments is ... RNIB has made strenuous efforts to ensure that emails and any ... attachments generated by its staff are free from viruses. ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • [Full-Disclosure] Security Industry Under Scrutiny: Part 3
      ... You seem to have missed the diagram for your proposed solution. ... Connecting anything to the Internet is a risky business. ... The information contained in this email and any attachments is ... RNIB has made strenuous efforts to ensure that emails and any ...
      (Full-Disclosure)