[Full-Disclosure] A real-life story (no analogies) Was: Anti-MS drivel

From: Radule Soskic (rms_at_telekom.yu)
Date: 01/23/04

    To: full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com
    Date: 23 Jan 2004 13:24:45 +0100

    Hi, list users,

    I am rather new to this list. Following the two recent threads that deal
    with comparing linux and windows I found out I have something that I
    could disclose, too (this is full-disclosure list after all). Readers,
    please, bear in mind a fact that can help: English is *not* my native
    language, so it might happen that I said something what I didn't mean.

    I also apologise for the verbosity of the story, TIA to ones that endure
    reading through it to the end, there's a (kind of) moral at the end,
    too. :-)

    Story begins like this:

    After a long time, I found myself in position of an average home
    computer user (a.k.a Joe Average): I bought new digital camera, made
    some shots and wanted to copy the photos to my comp. Now, my story forks
    into two scenarios. Believe me, I repeat, this all is real, not fiction
    nor analogies. So, the first one first:

    1st Scenario: WinXP Professional

    1.1. I took the CDs from the pack (2 of them, one with
    drivers/utilities, other with a demo app) and start driver/utilities
    installation.
    1.2. The above failed - it reported there's another copy of the same
    driver active in memory, so the installation can't resume.
    1.3. I temporarily went out from my "Joe Average" role, back to my
    "pro/guru" alter ego, so after an analysis I discovered that there is a
    conflict of the drivers between my new camera and my old scanner
    1.3. Scenario now forks in two branches: one for giving up old scanner
    for a new one, in hope that the new drivers would behave differently,
    the other for buying a flash card reader, and stop trying to connect
    camera directly to USB.
    1.4. Going for the flash card reader (cheaper than a scanner).
    Connecting it to my USB hub. I got a complaint from my WinXP about "a
    high speed device being connected to a low speed device etc". Deciding
    to ignore and continue, I got the next complaint about "high energy
    consuming device connected to a device that can not supply enough power
    etc" or something of that meaning.
    1.5. Started re-arranging my usb cables in order to connect this
    "high-consuming" reader directly to my root usb, and moving scanner
    cable into the external usb hub. (definitely, not back to my Average Joe
    personality, yet)
    1.6. Now power consumption issue disappeared. I managed to connect the
    reader, copy the files etc. I was ready to live on with plugging my CF
    cards "in and out" for the rest of my Average Joe's life, BUT...
    1.7 When I connected my scanner to the USB hub, my WinXP recognised my
    old scanner as a *new hardware device* and started a wizard in order to
    enable the new device (good old plug and play). It finished its job, but
    surprisingly enough, I ended up with two apparently identical scanners
    in the device list - the old one and the new one. No problem, one should
    say, two is better than one - but here's the bad news: none of the two
    worked.
    1.8 Story continues again by my "alter ego" involvement.
    1.9 Reinstalling scanner did not succeed, tried deinstallation both
    camera drivers and scanner drivers, installing again, d/l newest drivers
    from vendor web site, etc, etc, ...
    1.10.Story doesn't stop here. I know the next thing is to reinstall
    complete win from scratch. My "alter ego" did it many times before, but
    now it is not possible. Because, now this comp is dual-boot (or, should
    I say multi-boot), so my winxp install procedure won't continue. It
    fails and exits since "there's no valid partition" found. The other OS
    that is found there is known as Linux. God knows why, but XP refuses to
    reinstall itself since I resized its original partition and installed
    Linux on the free space. Never had such problem with Win98 or 2k. But,
    XP is abbreviation for "experience", as we all know.
    1.11. No support can help, no hope here. No one to blame, either. It's
    all me and my own choice of one or the other equally radical measure.
    Average Joe is stuck in the middle - camera works, FC reader too,
    scanner doesn't. But, since the latter is older than its warranty
    period, no possible complaint to anybody. Period. The Joe's alter ego
    (the expert) is stuck, too. There's too much work to do, with uncertain
    result. Backup, reinstall, restore, educate poor Joe, etc...Unless, of
    course another expert is willing to charge poor Joe for whatever of the
    following: new scanner, new external usb hub, new SF reader, SW
    installation/configuration service etc.

    It is time now for something completely different.

    2nd Scenario: SuSE Linux 9.0 Professional

    2.1. I plugged my FC reader in my root USB hub (the one on the comp.
    housing). Short beep, and I discovered new device icon on my desktop.
    Click on it - there it is - all my photos are there, nicely thumbnail-ed
    in Konqueror. Cut, copy, paste whatever, all nice and simple.
    2.2 I plugged my scanner into my external hub. Short beep, and here's my
    scanner on the desktop again. (Yes, it was installed before, but note
    that it was nothing new to the OS when my scanner appeared on the
    external hub port, instead on the root one - compare that to 1.7. above)
    2.3. The scenario normally ends here, since all works. Note that there
    was no any alter ego involved - all healthy, without developing any any
    schizophrenia at all.

    There, I couldn't help the guy known as "Joe the Curious" from coming
    into the game. So, some playing with the fire started, and here's what
    happened:

    2.4. I plugged out my reader from the root hub and plugged it in the
    external hub (the one that can not supply enough power, remember?). And,
    guess what? Beep, and everything worked. Suddenly, there's enough power,
    or what?
    2.4. Now, my "Joe the Curious" became "Joe the Courageous" and plugged
    the camera into the external hub, altogether with the above mess of
    cables. Short beep, and here it is - a new icon on my desktop (a nice,
    small camera picture). Click on it - guess what - all works...

    The second scenario ends here. The user did all he wanted (and even
    more, he satisfied even his curiosity, and even learnt something). No
    driver conflicts, no false alarms or any errors. Also, he discovered
    that he did not need to buy FC reader nor to use the CDs supplied with
    the camera. He did not need to perform any (de/re)installation at all -
    just plug and play. Just as it should happen.

    Conclusion:

    After the above experience, I am convinced that it's time to definitely
    stop making statements such as:

    - Linux is for geeks/nerds/gurus - Windows is for average user
    - Linux is for geeks/nerds/gurus - Windows is for enterprise
    - Linux is for servers - Windows is for desktop
    - Linux is hard - Windows is easy

    People, remember, this wasn't about OS installation, setting network
    services, firewalls, routers or sending Rovers to Mars. This wasn't even
    about security. This was just a simple "scanner and camera" case.

    The truth is out there:

    Linux started on solid and healthy ground, developing slowly and
    gradually, all the way obeying the clear and open rule-sets of good
    design and proper implementation. With time, it offered more and more -
    and just the things that users wanted to have. There was no marketing
    force behind it, with its overly expensive projects that perform
    low-level formating of users' brains.

    And, yes, most of previous paragraph's content doesn't apply to Windows.

    Now - my favourite lin/win statement (flame, please):

    1 - Linux is for people that don't have problem with permanent process
    of learning.
    2 - Windows is for people that don't have problem with being just
    consumers of whatever the industries sell.
    3 - No one of us is clearly just one or just the other of the above two.
    It's the delicate mixture of the two that makes everyone of us so unique
    and so important. :-)
    4 - Funny to see the two fighting so often. ;-)

    Best regards,

    cikasole

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

    • (linux vs windows) Ed Fosters Gripeline....
      ... The Reader Advocate Column ... Readers Debate Open Source Vs Windows ... How viable an alternative to Microsoft is Linux and other open source ... "I've already replaced Microsoft Office in my entire company with Open ...
      (sci.research.careers)
    • Re: Linux on Laptop?
      ... proprietary Linux C compiler outperforming gcc on many code ... There are a lot of "consumer level" scanners that SANE doesn't support ... When Joe User buys a Foobar 300 scanner for $49.99 at Wal-Mart, ... Three kinds of lies: ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)
    • Re: Alternative to SANE (not supporting new scanners): TWAIN or Mac OS X binary compatibility?
      ... I have Linux only PCs ... > SANE project not only lack of support for it (in the mailing list they ... > said HP is not providing any useful info on this scanner, ...
      (comp.os.linux.hardware)
    • Re: Changing from MS
      ... Go to Packman and download the latest Sane and Xsane ... and especially LIBIEEE1284 library (if it runs off the parallel port). ... You cannot use the YAST hardware scanner to set it up. ... Linux is progressing at an even faster rate than Windows is, ...
      (alt.os.linux.suse)
    • Linux Scanner Website Project
      ... I have this great idea for a Linux project. ... You enclose the scanner in the acrylic to make it look like ... web server in order to minimize web attack. ... an IMAP/SMTP mail server, or a mail agent to send/receive ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)