Re: [Full-Disclosure] Old school applications on the Internet(was Anti-MS drivel)

From: Gregh (chows_at_ozemail.com.au)
Date: 01/22/04

    To: "Bill Royds" <full-disclosure@royds.net>, "'Michal Zalewski'" <lcamtuf@ghettot.org>, "'yossarian'" <yossarian@planet.nl>
    Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 17:25:04 +1100

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Bill Royds" <full-disclosure@royds.net>
    To: "'Michal Zalewski'" <lcamtuf@ghettot.org>; "'yossarian'"
    <yossarian@planet.nl>
    Cc: "'[Full Disclosure]'" <full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com>
    Sent: Wednesday, January 21, 2004 12:34 PM
    Subject: RE: [Full-Disclosure] Old school applications on the Internet(was
    Anti-MS drivel)

    > What you describe is actually one of the reasons for some of the flaws in
    > MS software. It was built with the assumption that the only machines on
    the
    > network that it would communicate with were other MS boxes. The network
    was

    Can you verify that claim somewhere I can read about that please? So far as
    I am aware, any machine on a network conforms to protocols for networking,
    not to OS applications' ideas which may not be networking protocol
    compliant. Therefore, a MAC on a network can share files with an MS based PC
    or a Unix based PC.

    I say this facetiously of course but here goes - "Am I wrong?"

    Greg.

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

    • Re: Can find Vista box, cant share folders or printers.
      ... When I click 'Network' on the laptop the ... I've disabled Norton and Windows firewall entirely to make sure that's not ... public folder sharing - on ... start by running the Network Setup Wizard on all machines (see ...
    • Re: XP to Vista -- only halfway there
      ... concerning networks that combine Vista and XP machines. ... I am setting up an inhouse network that links together three machines, ... by 1) a misconfigured firewall or overlooked firewall (including stateful ...
    • Re: SBS 2003 Win XP/2000 Pro Clients TCP/IP Problems
      ... network and no DHCP services provided by any machines still on the network. ... Check all machines for DNS entries. ... It really sounds like a IP Address conflict the way the server stops ... > PCs, 3 of which are running Windows XP Pro, the rest 2000 Pro. ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: Audacity and Gentoo
      ... can only pick up radio 4 when using the TV aerial to ... I freak if my machines disagree by more than about 50 ... > ADSL cable, 2 power cables, one network ...
      (uk.comp.os.linux)
    • Re: Active Directory Setup Advice
      ... A domain is really an entity with a single security remit. ... seen as on the same network it will be like one big network. ... Under one domain all machines have to be unique in naming scheme. ... sub domains you can have same names under different domain. ...