RE: [inbox] Re: [Full-Disclosure] Anti-MS drivel

From: Curt Purdy (purdy_at_tecman.com)
Date: 01/18/04

    To: "'yossarian'" <yossarian@planet.nl>, "'[Full Disclosure]'" <full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com>
    Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 15:06:20 -0600

    yossarian wrote:

    >And a propos the ADS rant - you can hardly call it an MS invention. For me
    >it is NDS revisited.

    And a poor revisit at that. I have had ADS crash and burn at two customers
    in the last year (unfortunately no backup domain controllers - no we did not
    set them up). Check out MS's knowledge base article on repairing ADS. It
    is like a 50 page article that basically ends with "Re-install and restore
    from tape and synch with other controllers". I have NEVER seen that happen
    with DNS in all the years I've worked with Netware.

    Also have seen ADS get all confused more than once in multiple domain sites
    requiring either finding the server with the least corruption and making it
    authoritative, or restoring from a known good backup. No way to run an
    enterprise. Again, whenever a problem has shown up in NDS, a simple
    DSREPAIR has always fixed everything, without fail.

    Curt Purdy CISSP, GSEC, MCSE+I, CNE, CCDA
    Information Security Engineer
    DP Solutions

    If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked.
    What's more, you deserve to be hacked.
    -- White House cybersecurity adviser Richard Clarke

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

    • Re: NTDSUTIL Authorative Restore Error: Error 8000ffff parsing inp
      ... You only boot the DC in directory restore mode after that server IS a DC. ... ADS running on a PC ... Your DC will assume that system state backup ...
    • Re: NTDSUTIL Authorative Restore Error: Error 8000ffff parsing inp
      ... "Jorge Silva" wrote: ... ADS running on a PC ... Restore the backup using NTbackup ... Your DC will assume that system state backup ...
    • ADS Services Disconnected
      ... Backup/restore of ADS ... being able to backup the database was great. ... I figured out that the easiest way to restore was to run ... I did the above to change the MAC address, ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.setup)
    • Re: Exchange 5.5 nach Exchange 2003
      ... Du brauchst ne W2K-ADS im einheitlichen Modus, dann musst Du die ADS mit dem ... MSX 5.5 Verzeichnis Connecten, über Verbindungsvereinbarungen im Active ... Wenn alle Verteiler etc. in ... Restore der ADS und Restore des MSX 5.5 Standortes ...
      (microsoft.public.de.exchange)