Re: [Full-Disclosure] Re: January 15 is Personal Firewall Day, help the cause

From: Tobias Weisserth (tobias_at_weisserth.de)
Date: 01/15/04

    To: full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com
    Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 21:53:02 +0100

    Hi Ron,

    Am Don, den 15.01.2004 schrieb Ron DuFresne um 18:33:
    > It seems all the sec experts here complaining about this initiative value
    > their time far to much to donate it to those about them that might benefit
    > from theit skills, advice, and a few helpful mouse clicks?

    Actually I fail to see why _I_ have to pay with my valuable free time
    for the rotten software other people sell and get rich of.

    They sold the products so they should support their customers.
    Especially MS which is claiming that the Open Source community can't
    supply the kind of support that MS can supply. Now MS is begging for the
    support of the community TO DO THEIR WORK. This is pathetic.

    I'd rather take the time to _REPLACE_ any operating system that needs
    the additional investment of a personal firewall for anybody I
    personally know with a secure by design system that doesn't come with
    all doors open and doesn't require to update three different levels of
    security (OS, virus scanner and firewall).

    cheers,
    Tobias W.

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

    • Re: System Programming versus Application Programming (was: Re: i4 Possible?)
      ... by the operating system, and not at the level of the operating system and those gnarly details. ... The operating system is inherently coded to the hardware ABIs, and usually with some effort to render many of the lower-level differences among the supported systems and servers comparatively inconsequential or even irrelevant to the applications. ... You'd think that it would allow them to sell more hardware and would continue to generate more support revenues. ... extending support to the bigger Tukwila and Poulson boxes is much higher than extending support to the four-socket and smaller boxes. ...
      (comp.os.vms)
    • Re: lets vote for better security
      ... WINDOWS SOFTWARE. ... > Once the operating system is developed, it's pretty hard to add more ... that put out more and better free tech support ... > enough initiative to go look at Microsoft. ...
      (microsoft.public.security)
    • Re: lets vote for better security
      ... Microsoft has to do many of the studies because they might be the only ... read many RFCs. ... Once the operating system is developed, it's pretty hard to add more ... that put out more and better free tech support ...
      (microsoft.public.security)
    • Re: Spotlight & Other Changes in Mavericks
      ... changes I can tolerate and one or two I find irritating and might just ... "Unsupported Operating system ... support as the support page was positively unsupportive. ... "Windows 95 or better" and because we use the better Mac OS the ...
      (comp.sys.mac.system)
    • Re: Is there a messenger service out there?
      ... >>Of course they can call it an operating system. ... >>support for every digital camera out there, ... but Linux is free. ... Linux does have support for webcams, it even has support for my ...
      (alt.linux)