[Full-Disclosure] Whois acting funny in FreeBSD

From: Chris McGinnis (chrism_at_t3wireless.com)
Date: 12/30/03

    To: full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com
    Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 12:42:55 -0600

    Today I've noticed something weird on all my FreeBSD boxes. When I whois
    domains like msn.com, microsoft.com, aol.com and others I get stuff like:

    $ whois msn.com

    Whois Server Version 1.3

    Domain names in the .com and .net domains can now be registered
    with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
    for detailed information.

    MSN.COM.TW
    MSN.COM.SUCKS.FIND.CRACKZ.WITH.SEARCH.GULLI.COM
    MSN.COM

    My linux boxes seem to work fine. When I query a specific whois server
    such as whois.networksolutions.com it works fine also. Is anyone else
    getting anything like this? I'm thinking maybe the default whois server
    that the whois program queries has been compromised? I'm not sure what the
    default whois server is.

    -Chris

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

    • Re: more dns weirdness
      ... Whois Server Version 2.0 ... Domain names in the .com and .net domains can now be registered ... with many different competing registrars. ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: more dns weirdness
      ... still debugging dns issues that are no doubt to do with wider issues: ... Whois Server Version 2.0 ... with many different competing registrars. ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: Whois doesnt work - help
      ... identifying as Feranija wrote... ... doing whois cnn.com, and all is well. ... any other whois server when querrring 157.166.224.25 nor any other ... The poster known as Moe Trin did not offend or insult you in any way - ...
      (comp.os.linux.networking)
    • /etc/whois.conf being ignored
      ... I'm running whois version 4.6.9 by Marco d'Itri on SuSE 9.1 pro. ... interpret each line as a regex followed by a whois server name. ... If the regex matches the query it will use the given whois server. ... different top level domain registries without me having to know ...
      (alt.os.linux.suse)
    • Re: Whois doesnt work - help
      ... article, Feranija wrote: ... works well when querring domains by name. ... doing whois cnn.com, and all is well. ... any other whois server when querrring 157.166.224.25 nor any other ...
      (comp.os.linux.networking)