[Full-Disclosure] Saddam Hussein Captured

From: Gideon Rasmussen, CISSP, CFSO, CFSA, SCSA (full-disclosure_at_gideonrasmussen.com)
Date: 12/14/03

    To: full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com
    Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 10:58:35 -0500

    http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/12/14/sprj.irq.main/index.html

    U.S.: 'We got him'
    Coalition captures Saddam, 'talkative,' in raid near Tikrit
    Sunday, December 14, 2003 Posted: 10:10 AM EST (1510 GMT)

    TIKRIT, Iraq (CNN) -- After nine months of scurrying from house to
    house, Saddam Hussein appeared to be a tired, resigned man who offered
    no resistance when U.S. troops extracted him from a hole in a rural
    farmhouse Saturday night.

    L. Paul Bremer, head of the Coalition Provisional Authority, announced
    Sunday morning, "Ladies and gentlemen, we got him."

    The audience responded with cheers, and Iraqis took to Baghdad streets
    dancing, doling out candy and firing rifles into the air. But in Tikrit
    -- Saddam's ancestral hometown and a base of loyalty to him -- the
    streets were quiet.

    President Bush will address the nation at noon Sunday about the capture
    of Saddam.

    Coalition video showed the ventilated "spider hole" six to eight feet
    underground where Saddam was hiding with two other men, who have not yet
    been identified. The video showed Saddam with graying hair and a long
    beard, undergoing a medical examination after his capture.

    Several Iraqi journalists stood up and shouted "Death to Saddam" after
    the video was shown.

    "I'm very happy for the Iraqi people. Life is going to be safer now,"
    35-year-old Yehya Hassan, a resident of Baghdad, told The Associated
    Press. "Now we can start a new beginning."

    And in Kirkuk, Mustapha Sheriff told the Associated Press, "We are
    celebrating like it's a wedding. We are finally rid of that criminal."
    (Full story)

    The 66-year-old longtime Iraqi leader was number one on the coalition's
    55 most wanted list, and his evasion has been a political sore spot for
    the U.S. administration. (Saddam profile)

    Raid in rural town
    Lt. Gen. Ricardo Sanchez, who leads coalition troops in Iraq, said the
    former leader was uninjured, "talkative and cooperative," after 4th
    Infantry Division and Special Operations forces nabbed him in Operation
    Red Dawn.

    "Today is a great day for the Iraqi people and the coalition," Sanchez
    said.

    About 600 4th Infantry Division soldiers and Special Operations forces
    conducted the raid in Adwar, near a compound of ramshackle buildings
    about 9 miles outside Saddam's hometown of Tikrit, Saturday night.

    The raid was based on intelligence that Saddam was at a particular
    location in the area, the officials said. Forces arrived at the location
    within three hours of receiving a tip from an Iraqi, and Saddam had no
    time to move to another location.

    The U.S. forces moved easily into the area where there were no security
    forces to protect the ousted leader.

    Saddam, thin, dirty and hiding in the cellar of mud hut, willingly
    identified himself to interpreters. He was wearing a white T-shirt, dark
    trousers and a long-sleeved dark shirt.

    Video following that raid -- exclusively shot by CNN's Alphonso Van
    Marsh -- showed a group of U.S.-led coalition soldiers patting each
    other on the back -- apparently in celebration -- and taking group
    photos in front of a military vehicle.

    Sanchez said Operation Red Dawn targeted two locations and troops began
    a "cordon and search" operation when they failed to find Saddam
    initially. The ventilated "spider hole," its entrance camouflaged with
    bricks and dirt was near one of the locations.

    "He was a tired man," the general said. "Also, I think, a man resigned
    to his fate."

    Sanchez said the hole where forces found Saddam was wide enough for a
    man to lie down in, with a fan and a air hole.

    Preparing for retaliation
    Adnan Pachaci, a member of the Iraqi Governing Council, said Saddam
    would be tried for his crimes against Iraqis, and would be tried by Iraqis.

    Lt. Gen. Ricardo Sanchez says Saddam was uninjured, "talkative and
    cooperative," after 4th Infantry Division and Special Operations forces
    nabbed him. "The terrorist, Saddam Hussein, the biggest terrorist on
    earth, has been arrested," said Hamid Ali al-Kifaey. "He will be tried
    before a special court in Iraq soon. With his arrest the Iraqi people
    will begin a new life, and hopefully they will have a democratic and
    pluralistic system and no more mass graves, and no more Saddam Hussein
    and no more terrorism."

    A senior U.S. official told CNN's Dana Bash in Washington that Defense
    Secretary Donald Rumsfeld told President Bush on Saturday afternoon
    (EST) of the capture.

    The Iraq war began on March 19 when U.S. forces launched a "decapitation
    attack" aimed at the Iraqi president and other top members of the
    country's leadership.

    Hours after the capture -- but before it was announced -- a car bomb
    exploded outside an Iraqi police station in Khaldiyah, killing at least
    10 Iraqis and wounding 20 others, most of them policemen, U.S. officials
    said. Iraqi officials reported a higher casualty toll. (Full story)

    "Do I expect an increase in retaliation?" as a result of Saddam's
    capture, Sanchez asked. "I don't know. I couldn't answer that, but I
    will tell you we are prepared, and we will defeat those elements if they
    choose to attack us at any point in time."

    CNN Senior Military Affairs Correspondent Jamie McIntyre and CNN Baghdad
    Bureau Chief Jane Arraf contributed to this report.

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

    • Saddam Hussein - his Legacy
      ... first Democratic Election then look at the reality of Iraq under Saddam ... * Unspeakable Acts: Torture ... Iraqi divisional headquarters building.... ...
      (alt.religion.islam)
    • Saddam Hussein - his Legacy
      ... first Democratic Election then look at the reality of Iraq under Saddam ... * Unspeakable Acts: Torture ... Iraqi divisional headquarters building.... ...
      (alt.politics.bush)
    • Saddam Hussein - the Legacy
      ... first Democratic Election then look at the reality of Iraq under Saddam ... * Unspeakable Acts: Torture ... Iraqi divisional headquarters building.... ...
      (soc.culture.israel)
    • Saddam Hussein - the Legacy
      ... first Democratic Election then look at the reality of Iraq under Saddam ... * Unspeakable Acts: Torture ... Iraqi divisional headquarters building.... ...
      (talk.politics.mideast)
    • Saddam Hussein - his Legacy
      ... first Democratic Election then look at the reality of Iraq under Saddam ... * Unspeakable Acts: Torture ... Iraqi divisional headquarters building.... ...
      (alt.politics)