RE: [Full-Disclosure] SSH Exploit Request

From: Robert Davies (phantasm_at_textbox.net)
Date: 11/13/03

    To: <full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com>
    Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 12:08:41 -0500

    I am failing to see the logic in some of these issues here...

    A service is flawed in one way or another, patch it! If the vendor says the
    service is broke in some way, believe them, get off your lazy ass and get
    patching. If you are the admin, do your job and quit whining!

    Since that argument throws about the sniveling of, "We can't afford the
    downtime of a server reboot", then think of it this way, with services such
    as SSH, a restart of the SSH Service does NOT shut down the whole server or
    kill active connections, instead it's a 2 second lapse where the server will
    refuse the connection, in which super important person Z will just have to
    rety to connect.

    If that is not good enough for you, then think of it another way, while you
    sit there thinking about if it is reasonable to take the 5 minutes out of
    your day to compile updated packages and install them as needed, some skript
    kiddie is going through your server looking for more toys to play with on
    your network.

    If the reluctance in patching is due to upsetting someone whom can't afford
    the downtime, think about your job security after your network is breached
    and you did not take the initative to repair a critical flaw anyway.

    I am quite bothered out the ass by well paid admins that are too damn lazy
    to spend the few minutes it takes to repair a flawed service. Either start
    doing your job, or get the hell out of the way for those of us that want to
    do the job required properly!

    RKD

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

    • Re: SBCL just turned 1.0!
      ... KT> fairy has left the building, we eagerly await your patch. ... trace the problem to the vendor, make a bug report, and the vendor ... magical support contract, so I filed a support request and included ... of code with the bug and fix it! ...
      (comp.lang.lisp)
    • Re: Immediate Logoff
      ... What I am saying is that there is no magic button that MSFT can push to fix the problem unless you can give them some information, ... Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server ... however think it is ironic how it happened from a patch. ... Do you know where I can report this to Microsoft for free? ...
    • Re: problems with KB951746
      ... Browsing from the server directly through the external NIC. ... the fix installed in production....so how have you done the testing you've ... I doubt the patch, or SBS, is the problem here. ... If your firewall is not configured to allow DNS traffic ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: Why is smpatch so flakey?
      ... > proxy patch server. ... Problem is, the few times I've opened a ticket about smpatch with Sun, I've ... who could fix it. ... Patch Pro, either), they're out with Update Manager. ...
      (comp.unix.solaris)
    • Re: Network drives show disconnected, sometimes, but still work?
      ... SAV, lets see what happens. ... I applied for and was sent a web link for a fix: ... Symantec would not push/overwite 10.1.x with 10.0.x from the server. ... I used the automated patch download site, had the patch in a couple ...