Re: [Full-Disclosure] Fw: Red Hat Linux end-of-life update and transition planning

From: Vincent (pros-n-cons_at_bak.rr.com)
Date: 11/04/03

    To: full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com
    Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 01:33:45 -0800

    On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 15:22:30 -0500
    "Jonathan A. Zdziarski" <jonathan@nuclearelephant.com> wrote:

    > I would love to see the open source community pull together and create a
    > better "user-friendly" Linux distribution to replace RedHat. So far all
    > of the alternatives I've looked at, while not bad, are quite frankly not
    > impressive enough to capture any desktop user market space away from
    > Microsoft...which is what I feel is the most important contribution
    > RedHat made to Linux prior to turning into a bunch of selfish
    > blood-sucking misers.

    Heard of the Fedora project? What you just said is the whole point of Fedora.
    Redhat couldn't give a crap about desktop and have been saying it forever. So
    they gave us Fedora. It's a 'community' desktop distro with one huge
    advantage, Redhat is still putting thier money and developers behind it to help.
    If Redhat was your favorite desktop Fedora will be too since its basically
    redhat 10 with shorter release cycles. Redhat came out with a new distro
    every 6 months, if you upgraded every 6-10 months anyway like most freeloaders
    what exactly are you whining about?

    > SuSe: the most promising, which is why they'll probably be next to screw
    > the Linux community. Not sure if I can handle them discontinuing it for
    > a SECOND time.

    will be next? You call Redhat selfish bloodsuckers but SuSe is the one trying to
    close everything they work on. Yast, installer, tons of kernel stuff, FTP
    installs, propriatary software included and only 1386 downloads avail for freeloaders.
    Redhat took the linux kernel from 2000 threads to 50,000 in scailibilty and they sent
    it upstream to linus. they didn't slap a patent on it and say "buy from us if you want it" like
    some other distro's would do. It cracks me up when PPL say protect yourself from Redhat
    the M$ of linux by installing SuSe like its better (when its much worse ethically).

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

    • Re: Why Would Fedora be Free ? Can it be Trusted?
      ... > I am looking at using Fedora at my work and some people are asking the ... > Does Redhat have any involvement with Fedora? ... I don't know about your business but I have been using Linux for my ... If you search through various articles you will find that any attack ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Upgrading RH9 to Fedora?
      ... >> And in case my sentiment was not clear to start with, I use Linux (or ... > take a look at the packages that are provided for Fedora, ... but RedHat doesn't bother repackaging them. ... Mandrake gives me everything that the old Redhat Linux ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)
    • RE: Why Would Fedora be Free ? Can it be Trusted?
      ... software by Redhat, another part of this thread pointed me to ... Why Would Fedora be Free? ... Also remember that Fedora is only a *distribution* of linux. ... could make a profit on support. ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Does Redhat 9 upgrade ever become Fedora
      ... > various versions of Redhat and now Fedora. ... > Is this the same with Linux or can you effectively upgrade forever? ...
      (linux.redhat)
    • Re: Why Would Fedora be Free ? Can it be Trusted?
      ... Also remember that Fedora is only a *distribution* of linux. ... could make a profit on support. ... Now Redhat ...
      (Fedora)