Re: [Full-Disclosure] Fw: Red Hat Linux end-of-life update and transition planning

From: Kurt Seifried (listuser_at_seifried.org)
Date: 11/03/03

    To: "Joshua Levitsky" <jlevitsk@joshie.com>, <full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com>
    Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 12:16:47 -0700

    I wrote an article on this, rewriting it with a lot more information, the
    SUSE/Mandrake corporate products cost even more initially and per year for
    support agreements from their respective vendors, and their "cheap" products
    (i.e. suse professional, Mandrake Linux power pack) are only supported for
    18-24 months after release (not a long time as one would wish).

    The original (in my opinion semi-crappy) article I wrote is at:
    http://security-site.seifried.org/article.pl?sid=03/10/28/0917212

    I'm not done the rewrite yet due to halloween/lots of snow but this should
    be done in a day or two.

    Personally I partially agree with Red Hat, supporting/selling a product that
    makes them no money kind of doesn't make sense, although it would be nice if
    they continued I can understand why they do not.

    Kurt Seifried, kurt@seifried.org
    A15B BEE5 B391 B9AD B0EF
    AEB0 AD63 0B4E AD56 E574
    http://seifried.org/security/

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

    • Re: test if a string is a valid number?
      ... It is true it takes a bit more work to support multiple locales. ... I can write an FSM to parse an integer as fast as I can type it in. ... If you care so much about Win64 (which is really not so widely spread in the ... Rewriting it for the sake of beauty wastes more time than fixing a bug, ...
      (microsoft.public.vc.mfc)
    • Re: g95 wish list
      ... Since it runs on low-end hardware, I suppose it is all done in ... that beats rewriting the code. ... G95 will support a REAL*10 type corresponding to the x87 temporary real ... A software quad precision ...
      (comp.lang.fortran)
    • Re: Who & Whom
      ... Can you cite any authority in support of the construction favoured by ... yourself and DSH? ... I suppose Hines is busy now rewriting the following old hymns and ... "We sing the praise of him who died, ...
      (soc.history.medieval)
    • Re: Whence Python?
      ... It was used for a early release for Fedora Core 6. ... The way I read the web page was that somehow rewriting a tool ... I'd support rewiting most assembly in a high level language :-) ... I'd not support rewriting an app written in C to be in Python, ...
      (Fedora)