Re: [Full-Disclosure] Microsoft plans tighter security measures in Windows XP SP2

Valdis.Kletnieks_at_vt.edu
Date: 11/01/03

    To: ksmith@chartwelltechnology.com
    Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 18:27:30 -0500

    On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 15:00:28 MST, Kenton Smith <ksmith@chartwelltechnology.com> said:

    > Hopefully we can all agree that anything Microsoft can do to attempt to
    > make it's O/S more secure is better than the way it is now.

    No. We can't.

    Consider the case of Microsoft letting Bozo the Clown do the design work and
    the Three Stooges carrying out the implementation.

    Remember that Microsoft is a *business*, and they don't have any responsibility
    to you, the customer (since they've managed to thus far evade liability
    lawsuits). They *do* however have a fiduciary responsibility to the
    stockholders to maximize the company's bottom line.

    As a result, if Bozo, the stooges, and enough press releases to make Gartner
    give a pretty 8.5x11 glossy costs $2M, and doing it *right* costs $20M, they
    will choose the cheap route unless it's demonstrable that spending $20M will
    generate enough additional sales that more than another $18M in profits will
    accrue.

    If I were a conspiracy theorist, I'd compare the probable cost of buying off
    Guninsky, the @stake crew, and the pivx crew, and compare that to the cost of
    actually fixing IE. Then remember that although the open-source world is
    about pride and craftsmanship, Microsoft is all about the benjamins....

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html