RE: [Full-Disclosure] Proxies

From: S G Masood (sgmasood_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 10/31/03

    To: full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com
    Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 13:58:28 -0800 (PST)

    It is more or less impossible with current technology
    to set up an automated system to *completely* prevent
    users from accessing certain HTTP content. What I mean
    here is that everything available can be bypassed.

    How do you block *all* HTTP proxies, for instance(a la
    Surfola and party)? How about custom written CGI
    proxies? How about JAP like software?

    > You could do a couple
    > things to detect that people were using proxies
    > though. Parse through
    > your logs / ip accounting for repeated hits to hosts
    > on port 80 and the
    > source ip, have it email you those ips and
    > investigate.

    IMHO, these kind of measures are the only thing you
    can do to enforce your content access policies.

    --
    S.G.Masood
    Hyderabad,