RE: Linux (in)security (Was: Re: [Full-Disclosure] Re: No Subject)

From: Bassett, Mark (
Date: 10/24/03

    To: "Paul Schmehl" <>, <>
    Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 13:57:13 -0500

    I think something we are also forgetting is that statistically *nix
    users are people who are computer geeks. Average joe #1 buys his pc
    from Best buy pre-loaded with windows XP and has no clue how to install
    it. Currently vendor pre-loaded *nix machines aren't very popular,
    which means in order to have linux on your machine, you must
    download/purchase it and load it yourself. Most people don't want to
    mess with the hassle of the whole thing, aside from the fact that it
    doesn't play new game #1313413. All this means is that the *typical*
    *nix user knows what they are doing and therefore knows to keep the
    machine updated.

    --These same users on Windows (and who probably also run windows boxes)
    would also be unaffected by the rash of 'sploits--

    Until we start seeing vendor pre-loads going to Joe Blow, *nix will
    still be the O/S of servers, and geeks. (no offense to geeks out there,
    I'm one too ;) )

    Mark Bassett
    Network Administrator
    World media company