Re: [Full-Disclosure] re: openssh exploit code?

From: S . f . Stover (attica_at_stackheap.org)
Date: 10/20/03

    To: John Sage <jsage@finchhaven.com>
    Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 06:23:22 -0400

    : /* snip */
    :
    : > BTW, I thought "whitehat" implied
    : > non-disclosure, which isn't really the direction I'm coming from.
    :
    : /* snip */
    :
    : Nothing of the sort.
    :
    : In fact, whitehats and blackhats often perform exactly the same tasks
    : at the keyboard while doing research, and use the same tools.
    :
    : It's just the ulitmate purpose to which the research is put that
    : differs...

    I guess I was thinking along the lines of attitude towards full disclosure. I
    think of whitehats as not wanting to expose source or even the vulnerability
    before the vendor fixes it. Greyhats then will give the vendor the
    opportunity to fix, but will release the vulnerability regardless, while the
    blackhat feels that the everyone should know when it's discovered.

    However, this does run counter to what I'll call "real" blackhats or people
    who use their exploits for gain or illegal purposes. Obviously releasing source
    so patches can be developed, IDS vendors can write signatures, etc. does not
    futher that end.

    --
    aka Dolph Longhorn
    attica@stackheap.org

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

    • [Full-Disclosure] Security industry
      ... The difference between blackhats and whitehats is that whitehats Generally ... And as far as the phrack crowd is oh so bad and filled with kiddies you ... Its good you have an opinion about *hats good and bad, ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • [Full-Disclosure] Please post to the list
      ... Blackhats would not keep your network secure. ... "Whitehats" will not keep your network secure but will ... I heard Texas has alot of hot chicks. ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • RE: [Full-Disclosure] Blackhats of the World Unite!
      ... There are no Greyhats! ... This is a holy call for the destruction of all WHITEHATS! ... Blackhats of the World Unite! ... Blackhats of the world must unite to destroy all whitehats who continue to oppress everyone. ...
      (Full-Disclosure)