RE: [Full-Disclosure] SMC Router safe Login in plaintext

From: Schmehl, Paul L (pauls_at_utdallas.edu)
Date: 09/03/03

    To: "Florian Rock" <florianrock@web.de>, <bugtraq@securityfocus.com>, <full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com>, <vuln@secunia.com>
    Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 14:00:17 -0500

    Every ISP I've ever dealt with stores your password in plaintext. If
    this were not true, they would not be able to tell you what it is. Just
    call support, identify yourself and ask them to change your password for
    you.

    The risk is that someone else could use your account to access the
    Internet. Apparently that's a risk the ISPs are willing to take. So
    exposing your ISP password in plaintext on your own computer is really
    no more of a risk than you are already exposed to.

    That's why I use "throwaway" passwords for ISP access. They're
    worthless anyway.

    Paul Schmehl (pauls@utdallas.edu)
    Adjunct Information Security Officer
    The University of Texas at Dallas
    AVIEN Founding Member
    http://www.utdallas.edu/~pauls/

    I found that the SMC Barricade SMC-7404BRB safe the Login for the
    Provider safe in plaintext!!!
    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

    • RE: [Full-Disclosure] SMC Router safe Login in plaintext
      ... Every ISP I've ever dealt with stores your password in plaintext. ... Apparently that's a risk the ISPs are willing to take. ... I found that the SMC Barricade SMC-7404BRB safe the Login for the ...
      (Bugtraq)
    • RE: [Full-Disclosure] SMC Router safe Login in plaintext
      ... Every ISP I've ever dealt with stores your password in plaintext. ... Apparently that's a risk the ISPs are willing to take. ... I found that the SMC Barricade SMC-7404BRB safe the Login for the ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • RE: [Full-Disclosure] SMC Router safe Login in plaintext
      ... Every ISP I've ever dealt with stores your password in plaintext. ... Apparently that's a risk the ISPs are willing to take. ... I found that the SMC Barricade SMC-7404BRB safe the Login for the ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • Re: [Full-Disclosure] SMC Router safe Login in plaintext
      ... > Every ISP I've ever dealt with stores your password in plaintext. ... I've never heard of an ISP that stored passwords in plaintext. ... Apparently that's a risk the ISPs are willing to take. ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • RE: [Full-Disclosure] SMC Router safe Login in plaintext
      ... I worked for an ISP that did not store passwords in the clear so we had to ... This is a fairly big nationwide ISP ... SMC Router safe Login in plaintext ... Every ISP I've ever dealt with stores your password in plaintext. ...
      (Full-Disclosure)