RE: [Full-Disclosure] SMC Router safe Login in plaintext

From: Schmehl, Paul L (pauls_at_utdallas.edu)
Date: 09/03/03

    To: "Florian Rock" <florianrock@web.de>, <bugtraq@securityfocus.com>, <full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com>, <vuln@secunia.com>
    Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 14:00:17 -0500

    Every ISP I've ever dealt with stores your password in plaintext. If
    this were not true, they would not be able to tell you what it is. Just
    call support, identify yourself and ask them to change your password for
    you.

    The risk is that someone else could use your account to access the
    Internet. Apparently that's a risk the ISPs are willing to take. So
    exposing your ISP password in plaintext on your own computer is really
    no more of a risk than you are already exposed to.

    That's why I use "throwaway" passwords for ISP access. They're
    worthless anyway.

    Paul Schmehl (pauls@utdallas.edu)
    Adjunct Information Security Officer
    The University of Texas at Dallas