Re: [Full-Disclosure] Credit card numbers

From: Dan Stromberg (strombrg_at_dcs.nac.uci.edu)
Date: 07/17/03

    To: "Myers, Marvin" <MRMyers@anteon.com>
    Date: 17 Jul 2003 11:57:11 -0700

    On Thu, 2003-07-17 at 10:49, Myers, Marvin wrote:
    > Maybe it is only me, but does anyone else notice a big jump in the
    > number of merchants that are printing the entire credit card number
    > and expiration date on receipts?
    >
    > Over the past 6 months I have had to educate about a dozen local
    > merchants about the possible abuse scenarios that exist with this type
    > of information leakage. If there
    >
    > Is not already some sort of law governing this policy, there should
    > be.

    I believe there's a patent on the idea of only listing four digits of a
    credit card. So yes, there's an actual financial incentive to do the
    wrong thing.

    A local grocery store was doing 8 digits for a while - before they went
    out of business. Another shows all of them - they seem to be doing
    well.

    Shredders are your friends. But don't let that stop you from
    complaining to the merchant in question. Don't behead the person behind
    the counter - but maybe ask them to relay a message to their manager.

    On a related note, how do you get web vendors not to store your credit
    card # on their hard disks longer than absolutely necessary? I trust
    (ssl data entry * number of orders) a lot more than a merchant's ability
    to stay up to date on patches until my card expires.

    --
    Dan Stromberg DCS/NACS/UCI <strombrg@dcs.nac.uci.edu>

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

    • RE: form population macro
      ... MsgBox ("Invalid Credit Card Number") ... american express then 15 digits. ... that chooses, Visa, AE ...etc. and I want to have the entry cell change if it ... another is not different than copying data from one worksheet to another ...
      (microsoft.public.excel.programming)
    • RE: form population macro
      ... I'll try to be clearer on the credit card number issue. ... american express then 15 digits. ... that chooses, Visa, AE ...etc. and I want to have the entry cell change if it ... another is not different than copying data from one worksheet to another ...
      (microsoft.public.excel.programming)
    • Re: Absurd password (rant)
      ... services you buy whether or not you use a credit card) at today's ... The other bank is even worse, 0.1% APY. ... The prices charged by the merchants will remain the same, whether I use plastic or not. ... I tried for a discount by offering to pay cash for a $10,000 purchase. ...
      (alt.usage.english)
    • Re: Making purchases by credit card without any other id
      ... There is an upside to reducing fraud, as merchants with a lot of credit card fraud losses end up paying a higher percentage rate to the credit card company. ... It is an annoyance, albeit a small one, though it's more likely to make me go to a different hardware store than to not use a credit card. ...
      (misc.consumers)
    • Re: Frying and egg
      ... had to phone this customer many times so I could just dial the number ... were having trouble remembering their PIN codes because the finger ... Sometimes when I have to think what my credit card PIN code is, ... were written out as words rather than digits. ...
      (alt.usage.english)