[Full-Disclosure] Credit card numbers

From: Myers, Marvin (MRMyers_at_anteon.com)
Date: 07/17/03

    To: <full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com>
    Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 13:49:03 -0400

    Maybe it is only me, but does anyone else notice a big jump in the
    number of merchants that are printing the entire credit card number and
    expiration date on receipts?
    Over the past 6 months I have had to educate about a dozen local
    merchants about the possible abuse scenarios that exist with this type
    of information leakage. If there
    Is not already some sort of law governing this policy, there should be.

    Marvin R. Myers

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

    • Re: [Full-Disclosure] Credit card numbers
      ... > Maybe it is only me, but does anyone else notice a big jump in the ... > number of merchants that are printing the entire credit card number ... > and expiration date on receipts? ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • Re: Making purchases by credit card without any other id
      ... There is an upside to reducing fraud, as merchants with a lot of credit card fraud losses end up paying a higher percentage rate to the credit card company. ... It is an annoyance, albeit a small one, though it's more likely to make me go to a different hardware store than to not use a credit card. ...
      (misc.consumers)
    • Re: Absurd password (rant)
      ... services you buy whether or not you use a credit card) at today's ... The other bank is even worse, 0.1% APY. ... The prices charged by the merchants will remain the same, whether I use plastic or not. ... I tried for a discount by offering to pay cash for a $10,000 purchase. ...
      (alt.usage.english)
    • Re: Credit card processing
      ... > newsgroup but... ... > credit card processing to be implemented in web application. ... > web based service app that has to charge its subscribers' credit cards on ... I searched the web but found only merchants that ...
    • Re: [Full-Disclosure] Credit card numbers
      ... > number of merchants that are printing the entire credit card number ... > merchants about the possible abuse scenarios that exist with this type ... A local grocery store was doing 8 digits for a while - before they went ...
      (Full-Disclosure)