Re: [Full-Disclosure] Microsoft wins Homeland Security Bid ( Reuters)

From: northern snowfall (dbailey27_at_ameritech.net)
Date: 07/17/03

    To: Blue Boar <BlueBoar@thievco.com>
    Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 19:31:10 -0500

    > I'd rather my government hire the IT personnel themselves and do their
    > own <insert favorite OSS OS here> distro, with the help of the smart
    > guys from the NSA, etc... for security standards.

    Yeh, that's not a bad wish, I must admit. The major stumbling block
    is when you've got an OS that few people understand. With a large
    group like our newly conglomerated DHS, you've got a very substantial
    user base and need an OS that has very wide support.

    Even if you mod out an OS like Linux, you are still stuck with
    the inability of support at a large scale, since other groups will
    stray from supporting your distro as its codebase isn't as well
    known and may be more advanced/abstract.

    Don

    http://www.7f.no-ip.com/~north_

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

    • Re: Happiness is
      ... I also said thank goodness the military personnel ... McCaine "says" he doesn't support torture, ... There are websites and there are websites, ... but I don't see any reason to make false claims about McCain. ...
      (rec.crafts.textiles.needlework)
    • OT. But important please read.
      ... Whatever personal views are on the current conflicts our servicemen ... feel that those same people deserve support when injured. ... their families at a very traumatic stage of their lives. ... centre used to treat personnel who may have lost limbs or suffered ...
      (uk.railway)
    • Re: OT: Have we offering / sent any assistance to the US
      ... We should offer to send personnel, gear and logistic ... > support. ... But I gather from US forums that this has been offered by some ...
      (uk.music.guitar)
    • Re: "Dont Give Up the Ships: A Look at a 200-Ship Navy"
      ... :>:reduce personnel life cycle costs. ... not to service the pilots. ... :nor the gear and personnel to support it. ...
      (sci.military.naval)
    • Security Standards for Desktop configuration
      ... "Security Standards for Desktop configuration" is the tittle of the document ... I need your support in the following points: ... Get advanced junk mail protection with MSN 8. ...
      (Security-Basics)