[Full-Disclosure] [ANNOUNCE]: IISBanner 1.1 released
From: Tiago Halm (thalm_at_netcabo.pt)
To: <firstname.lastname@example.org> Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 05:40:19 +0100
IISBanner was totally re-coded and is now configurable and fully performant.
See details below...
============== IISBanner ==============
Author: Tiago Halm
Platforms: Windows (IIS)
- Notes for version 1.0
ISAPI Filters are the only "safe" way of managing (changing, altering,
customizing) some of the core parts of IIS.
Customizing the "Server" response header is one of those tasks. While
altering the "Server" response header may be useful at a security
prespective by disguising the web server banner (security by obscurity),
keep in mind that there are much more powerfull ways of detecting a server
type using tools like nmap.
IISBanner is an IIS ISAPI Filter that can be used to specify a replacement
for IIS's built in "Server" header, or even to instruct IIS to not use the
"Server" response header altogether.
The configuration is made by an .ini file, namely "IISBanner.ini". This
configuration file must reside in the same directory of IISBanner.dll.
The configuration file contains 2 options:
Values: 0 or 1
- If 1, then the "Server" response header is removed, meaning that all IIS
responses will not contain any "Server" header, and the ChangeBanner option
- If 0, then the "Server" response header is not removed and the
ChangeBanner option may be used;
- If commented, then its value defaults to 0;
Values: Any string up to 255 characters
- If string is empty, then IIS's built in "Server" response header remains
- If string is not empty, then the "Server" response header will be changed
to that same value;
- If commented, then its value defaults to empty string;
- Instalation of this ISAPI Filter must be done at the WebServer level;
- The ISAPI runs at low priority;
- IIS's performance is NOT affected by this ISAPI Filter. Any stress test
will reveal that the number of HTTP requests remains unaffected with or
- DLL size is now 20Kb (compiled without default libraries);
- IISBanner is installed at http://www.kodeit.org and may be viewed by a
network sniffer at each HTTP response received, or through this simple VBS
Set oHTTP = WScript.CreateObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")
Call oHTTP.Open("HEAD", "http://www.kodeit.org", False)
Set oHTTP = Nothing
Notes for version 1.0
The first version of IISBanner was ONLY demonstrative and it suffered from
performance issues. Although download of version 1.0 is still available, its
recommended the use of version 1.1 for any real instalation.
IISBanner can viewed at http://www.kodeit.org/utils/iisbanner.htm
Comments, this time, are very welcome!
Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.