RE: [Full-Disclosure] Destroying PCs remotely?

From: madsaxon (madsaxon_at_direcway.com)
Date: 06/18/03

    To: full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com
    Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 12:15:52 -0500

    At 04:49 PM 6/18/03 +0100, John.Airey@rnib.org.uk wrote:

    >Your constitution says (Amendment V) "No person shall ... be deprived of
    >life, liberty, or property, without due process of law".

    Yep, that's exactly my argument against this lunacy. You're tried,
    convicted, and sentenced on the spot. What happens if they make
    a mistake and you're not actually trading copyrighted files, or
    if you have permission to do so? (For example, I have a music
    site, and my band's songs are copyrighted, but anyone may download
    them for non-commercial use). Is this system going to be so technically
    foolproof that serious mistakes won't be made? I sincerely doubt it.
    Unfortunately, the results of any such error are that someone's private
    property is destroyed.

    I guarantee you that if people start nuking each other's
    computers over the Internet in the name of IP protection, this phantom
    thing we've been calling "cyberterrorism" will take on a much more
    concrete cast. Welcome back to the old West, partner. You better
    be packin' a six-shooter, cause every other hombre in town is.

    m5x

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

    • More opinions about ADR/Roubini;-)))
      ... And spot on;-))) ... ADR writes as if it was me who had made his mistake. ... Such stupid arrogance. ...
      (soc.culture.greek)
    • Re: Gavin Smith quote
      ... Getting yourself into this spot where you kinda have to call ... and the big blind to play. ... considering a raise to take the blinds. ... original raise was the sort of "huge mistake" that Gavin was talking ...
      (rec.gambling.poker)
    • Re: New classical guitar magazine
      ... I did spot that mistake and I did chuckle but ya didn't have to point ... of mind miss placed ...
      (rec.music.classical.guitar)