RE: [Full-Disclosure] HEADS UP VIRUS BEING SPREAD one of our rea

From: Ed Carp (erc_at_pobox.com)
Date: 05/25/03

    To: "Full-Disclosure@Lists. Netsys. Com" <full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com>
    Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 01:51:43 -0500

    > It is an existing, well-known (and "old") virus, reliably ID'ed by
    > just about any virus scanner updated since late Feb this year. There
    > are abundant informed and informative descriptions of how it works
    > all over the web. It seems Mr Wood and your good self must be about
    > the only "security experts" who have not already encountered it.

    I wonder, how does one make oneself such an excellent target for virii so
    one can claim bragging rights such as those? "Gee, we were the *first* to
    discover XXX virus!" Or does that mean someone at the company was stupid
    enough to double-click on an unknown attachment from someone they didn't
    know? Or is the trick to subscribe to every known mailing list in
    existence, so as to be spammed to death in hopes of discovering something
    new?

    Of course, most of these so-called "security firms" and such are just a guy
    in the basement of his parent's house anyway...

    --Ed the cynic

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html