RE: [Full-Disclosure] FW: FEEDBACK: Testing Microsoft and the DMCA

From: Schmehl, Paul L (pauls@utdallas.edu)
Date: 04/21/03

    From: "Schmehl, Paul L" <pauls@utdallas.edu>
    To: <Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu>, "Charles Sprickman" <spork@inch.com>
    Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 12:00:59 -0500

    According to this article: 1) He has defense attorneys and 2) a federal
    judge has ruled that he is being lawfully detained. Since those are the
    only facts we have, it's not possible to make a judgment about whether
    his detention is some sort of violation of the constitution or not.
    Given that, I think it's premature to make any judgments at all about
    his situation. Just because *you* think it's wrong, doesn't make it
    wrong.

    Besides, if it turns out that his rights were violated, he has every
    right to sue the government and obtain compensation for unlawful
    imprisonment.

    > The ACLU on the Patriot Act:
    > http://www.aclu.org/SafeandFree/SafeandFree.cf> m?ID=12126&c=207

    I have a clear bias against the ACLU, so I'll refrain from commenting on
    this.

    Paul Schmehl (pauls@utdallas.edu)
    Adjunct Information Security Officer
    The University of Texas at Dallas