RE: [Full-Disclosure] RE: [ISN] DARPA pulls OpenBSD funding

From: Mads Tansų (azmodan@linux.online.no)
Date: 04/20/03

    From: Mads Tansų <azmodan@linux.online.no>
    To: "'Ed Carp'" <erc@pobox.com>, <pandora@swi.com.br>, <full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com>
    Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 17:40:08 +0200

    > > > It's a little difficult to completely avoid US products in the
    > > > encryption field. And if your response is along the lines of
    "Open
    > > > Source, can't hide anything", I'll save time and summarize my
    rebuttal
    > > > now; DES, Differential Cryptanalysis, NSA, 20 years.
    > >
    > > There's a ton of crypto software that's been developed
    > overseas. I guess
    > > you missed my previous post, but think IDEA.
    >
    > Wasn't Rijndael (US's AES) developed by some Belgian folks?

    < Yes, it was, Belgian or Indian, I think. I didn't mention it becuse I
    < couldn't remember how to spell it ;)
    Belgian and Dutch...

    < But since it's now the US's AES standard, who knows how strong it
    is...
    Strong enough, still using distributed approaches to crack keys,
    although it'll be far less strong as hardware gets faster... Wouldn't
    trust it to last more than a year or two more...

    Azmo..
    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html