RE : MCAFEE E-MAIL SCAN ALERT!~[FULL-DISCLOSURE] FWD: INTERNET S

From: Larry Sanders (lsanders@ittc.ku.edu)
Date: 04/09/03

    From: Larry Sanders <lsanders@ittc.ku.edu>
    To: full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com
    Date: 09 Apr 2003 10:21:11 +0000

    On Wed, 2003-04-09 at 08:45, Nicolas Villatte Wrote:
    > So you did it on purpose. Spreading unsolicited virus may be
    > considered a crime in many countries. I think you should better
    >
    > - expose your problem without sending the virus to a whole
    > community (send it only if anyone is interested in helping you
    > and is asking for it)
    > - update your antivirus software more often
    > - try some reverse engineering on the suspected file

    I can't take it anymore. I'm sorry, I know I'm just contributing to the
    "noise" now in this flame war, but I have to say it.

    If you don't want to recieve _nasty_ things, unsubscribe! A security
    list (and one titled "Full Disclosure" at that) is gong to recieve virii
    - duh! It's also going to contain other vulnabilities. When someone
    includes a "example" of a buffer overflow in opera via a html link - do
    you also complain? Come on people. Some people even _like_ looking at
    virii.

    Oh, and don't even get me started on those people that so generously let
    us know that a virus has been detected - great, thanks, I'm so glad I
    know now.....

    And... whitelist _isn't_ the way to go.

    /rant

    Whew.

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

    • Re: Pay for MS anti-malware service!
      ... I'll agree the exploit was based on a "stupid" OS model. ... > A weakness was discovered in Windows, and a free update was issued by ... advisories as they have little else to do with their lives (unlike virus ... You might be interested in reading about the Windows design flaws here ... ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: YASID: Weaponized Stupidity Virus
      ... which is about a RW virus that makes people stupid. ... It rang a vague bell about a SF tale that used such a virus as a ... or amphetamine type drugs, ...
      (rec.arts.sf.written)
    • Re: HELP! I killed my computer with the help of win32/virut.a
      ... want installing a antivirus software that was incompatible with the ... current software so i had to remove it before installing the other one ... and the virus snuck in then, maybe i have a boyfriend who likes to ... Like most stupid people, you blame your own behavior on others. ...
    • Re: 45265.exe
      ... >> I got the following link on MSN: ... >> Stupid me clicked on it and it downloaded 45265.EXE ... >> virus websites. ... > Purchase Kaspersky antivirus. ...
      (alt.comp.anti-virus)
    • Re: YASID: Weaponized Stupidity Virus
      ... which is about a RW virus that makes people stupid. ... It rang a vague bell about a SF tale that used such a virus as a ... Not a virus but iirc Poul Anderson's _Brain Wave_ had the Earth emerge ...
      (rec.arts.sf.written)