Re: [Full-Disclosure] Security Certifications

From: Leo Security (security@fastmail.fm)
Date: 03/09/03

    From: Leo Security <security@fastmail.fm>
    To: Rizwan Ali Khan <rizwanalikhan74@yahoo.com>, full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com, security-basics@securityfocus.com
    Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2003 19:19:22 -0500

    I have checked the content and syllabi of most of the subjects offered
    for these certs and was disappointed. They are a waste of time. My
    advice will be to use your time for the deep study of operating systems.
    That would make you a better security analyst. Most employers have had
    it with certs and do not give much importance to it any more.
    Certifications were hot untill 2000. There value is going downhill since
    then.

    I would only go for certs if my employer requires it and pays me for it.
    I will never like to spend my own money on certs.

    Thats my opinion.

    regards
    Leo

    hellNbak wrote:
    > Be sure when filling out the questionaire from ISC2 that you lie if you
    > have been a part of any "hacking" groups or have used a nym. Honesty *IS
    > NOT* the best policy in this case.
    >
    > I have a friend in Tokyo who took the lead auditor course and passed the
    > test, he said it was horrible and not worth the time or money
    >
    > On Fri, 7 Mar 2003, Ron DuFresne wrote:
    >

    >>Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 09:08:21 -0600 (CST)
    >>From: Ron DuFresne <dufresne@winternet.com>
    >>To: Rizwan Ali Khan <rizwanalikhan74@yahoo.com>
    >>Cc: full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com, security-basics@securityfocus.com,
    >> certification@securityfocus.com
    >>Subject: Re: [Full-Disclosure] Security Certifications
    >>

    >>Your quickest bet here is to do a google search on cisa and then on cissp.
    >>You'll gt pointers to the governing bodies and such, pointers to lists of
    >>pretesting help, local affiliations as well as testing sites in the near
    >>future and much more in the first 10-20 links google returns.
    >>
    >>Thanks,
    >>
    >>Ron DuFresne
    >>
    >>On Thu, 6 Mar 2003, Rizwan Ali Khan wrote:
    >>

    >>>I have heard of CISA and CISSP as Security
    >>>Certifications, but could someone shed some light and
    >>>give information about the governing bodies of the
    >>>following Certifications, and where to get their
    >>>suggested training material/ books etc.
    >>>
    >>>And if it is possible to give their exams from
    >>>Pakistan?
    >>>

    >>>BS7799/ISO7799 lead auditor
    >>>Prince 2
    >>>SSCP
    >>>CISM
    >>>CISMP
    >>>TCSEC
    >>>SCP

    >>>Yahoo! Tax Center - forms, calculators, tips, more
    >>>http://taxes.yahoo.com/
    >>>Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    >>>Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html
    >>>

    >>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    >>"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity. It
    >>eliminates dreams, goals, and ideals and lets us get straight to the
    >>business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation." -- Johnny Hart
    >> ***testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!***
    >>
    >>OK, so you're a Ph.D. Just don't touch anything.

    >>Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    >>Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

    • Re(2): certification advice
      ... I got a job out of High School working with a consulting company making only ... job with one of my consultants and now I make a lot more money. ... My goal is to get the certs (MCSE, CCNA, ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • RE: CISSP Question
      ... Forget the security Certs. ... And they nearly all cost money. ... Security Author/Editor/Consultant/Researcher ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: Help - brick wall!
      ... weekend - with very high confidence and no certs yet ordered. ... needed an Ancestry subscription and it needs more money spending to ... couple of copies from the British Library (total cost 34 pounds) - it ...
      (soc.genealogy.britain)
    • Re: Value of EC-CEH
      ... Because of security certifications, even certs are not going to help ... Cisco environment mean little. ... Vendor specific certs are mainly worth having if you envision being stuck ... I made more money without certs very ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: RHCE and other certs?
      ... Subject: RHCE and other certs? ... your employers ... >>dismiss and do not hire people with your type of attitude. ... How many of your folks are ...
      (RedHat)