[Full-Disclosure] Trustworthy Computing Mini-Poll

From: Thomas Sjögren (thomas@northernsecurity.net)
Date: 12/29/02

From: thomas@northernsecurity.net (Thomas Sjögren)
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 13:17:23 +0100

On Saturday 28 December 2002 13:51, yossarian wrote:

> I think i might run w/o Palladium - and search the net for cracked
> windows updates, they are availale now, so why should'nt they be in
> the future? I never thought it useful upgrading to a newer office
> since 2000, so why should I do so in the future?

Sure, that's always a option, until MS stops releasing non-Palladium
patches (just like they planning to stop NT4 patches).

> Let's turn the question around a bit: if it is not backwards
> compatible, how am i going to upgrade a 150.000 usr network?

Palladium isn't just software update like W2K -> XP, it's hardware
upgrades as well. So if you want upgrade you're network your probably
have to buy som new computers.
And by the look of it all major hw-manufacturers are members of TCPA
(and Palladium?) so in the Orwellian-future, you can't rely on cracked
patches (does anyone _trust_ cracked patches btw?) to keep your network
up and running.

/Thomas

--
thomas@northernsecurity.net | www.northernsecurity.net
thomas@se.linux.org | www.se.linux.org

Relevant Pages

  • Re: To Anyone who has Internet Explorer Installed or any other browser (Everybody)
    ... > Try and imagine if MS required a full upgrade each time ANY flaw ... vulnerability you listed above includes patches for versions of IE ... But hey...might as well make this post into "Big bad Microsoft", ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Bad sectors... how bad?
    ... > complexity contains bugs and software written to fix bugs will contain ... >> and the $100 upgrade is that the upgrade looks for previous installs. ... online to fully update all the patches. ... > So when a vulnerability is found you want to remain vulnerable for 6 ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: Bad sectors... how bad?
    ... > Dude, linux is free, if MS want's to start giving away their OS's I'll ... >>> and the $100 upgrade is that the upgrade looks for previous installs. ... > online to fully update all the patches. ... >> So when a vulnerability is found you want to remain vulnerable for 6 ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: Model Update Plan
    ... !The meat of it is using product install to apply the upgrade and the ... !by the patch summaries. ... !The one query with the set of patches is XFC. ... I've not needed a separate reboot ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Inconsistencies between Windows Updates and AU/SUS
    ... Three problems have surfaced in relation to Windows Updates and Automatic ... Updates will tell us we do not need any patches, ... simultaneously telling us that we have patches to install. ... but the listing in the AU notification panel normally reflects ...
    (NT-Bugtraq)