[Full-Disclosure] UN support for "security by obscurity"

From: Georgi Guninski (guninski@guninski.com)
Date: 12/07/02

From: guninski@guninski.com (Georgi Guninski)
Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2002 14:01:36 +0200

Richard,

Your analogy to the computer world is completely false because:

1. It is my understanding that the algorithm for making nukes is not so secret,
the problem is finding the hardware. Just search on google for "how to make"
"n??????r bomb" - Results 1 - 10 of about 2,700. Search took 0.16 seconds.
In the first 5 results is an article about the Brits:
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/04/15/1018333482457.html

2. Iraq does not sell dangerous underquality software to the world AFAIK.

Georgi Guninski

Richard M. Smith wrote:

> Another data point in the full-disclosure/security-by-obscurity debate:
>
> http://www.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/meast/12/06/sproject.irq.un.report/index.h
> tml
>
> UNITED NATIONS (CNN) -- After Iraq hands over its declaration on weapons
> of mass destruction programs Saturday, U.N. weapons inspectors will
> analyze and edit out parts of it before distributing it to members of
> the U.N. Security Council.
>
> Hans Blix, chief U.N. weapons inspector, said Friday the 15-member
> council agreed to the procedure after discussing "the risks of releasing
> parts of this declaration that might help to achieve proliferation of
> nuclear, biological, or chemical weapons."
>
> The United States, Russia, and other countries are concerned about
> releasing information that would provide "a training manual for how to
> build weapons of mass destruction," a Western diplomatic source told
> CNN.

> Richard

> Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
> Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

Relevant Pages

  • Re: OT afraid of horses
    ... failed to "destry" them in front of the UN Weapons inspectors, ... perceived danger their adopted homeland, Saudi Arabia. ...
    (alt.sports.football.pro.ne-patriots)
  • Re: Open apology to Douglas Gwyn
    ... :> a) No weapons of MD found yet. ... Honestly, this does bother me, too... ... One of the conditions of this outrageous leniency was that it accede to ... If their games with weapons inspectors were for some other reason than ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: nbc Only in America nbc
    ... Nations Security Council yesterday, it is hard to imagine how anyone ... could doubt that Iraq possesses weapons of mass destruction. ... Powell left no room to argue seriously that Iraq has accepted the ... Until now, however, they have cynically argued that the inspectors ...
    (rec.music.artists.springsteen)
  • Re: Amos Yadlin: RAID ON WEAPONS SHIP A GREAT ACHIEVEMENT FOR INTELLIGENCE
    ... Iran has violated Security Council resolutions forbidding weapons sale from the Islamic Republic as well as arms smuggling to Gaza. ... At issue is Iran's violation of Security Council resolutions prohibiting the purchase of weaponry from Iran, as well as shipping weaponry to Gaza. ... You appear to have no concept as to the workings of loans -- nor to the fact that a number of countries purchase Israel-made weapons, including Israel, South Africa, and the US. ...
    (soc.culture.jewish)
  • LIAR Of The Day!!!! Ray Fischer Is a Drooling Idiot and a Proven Liar, Killfile Him - #064
    ... the United Nations Security Council passed Resolution 1441 ... which called for Iraq to completely cooperate with UN weapon ... inspectors to verify that it was not in possession of weapons of mass ... Head weapons inspector Hans Blix ...
    (alt.politics)