[Full-Disclosure] MS02-065 vulnerability

From: Paul Szabo (psz@maths.usyd.edu.au)
Date: 11/22/02

From: psz@maths.usyd.edu.au (Paul Szabo)
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 21:36:50 +1100 (EST)

Microsoft security bulletin
  http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms02-065.asp
contains the caveat "a patched system could be made vulnerable again [by]
visit a web site or open an HTML mail". We have a execute-any-code
vulnerability, exploitable by a Web page or email; the patch can be undone
by a Web page or email. Just as exploitable after the patch.

Is this what Microsoft calls "responsible disclosure"?

Cheers,

Paul Szabo - psz@maths.usyd.edu.au http://www.maths.usyd.edu.au:8000/u/psz/
School of Mathematics and Statistics University of Sydney 2006 Australia

PS: The above applies to IE only; I know that the patch is needed also for
IIS and maybe others. Do not let details get in the way of a good story.

Relevant Pages

  • Ping: Ken Blake
    ... What you have provided is NOT a patch. ... It will not correct the RPC/RPCSS Buffer Overflow Vulnerability that is addressed by ... Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-39 http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=824146 That is the ... "patch" to prevent the Internet worms. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Microsoft Security Bulletin MS06-067 (922760) Question
    ... Now that the patch for Microsoft Security Bulletin MS06-067 has ... been applied and supposedly fixed the Direct Animation control ... vulnerability, does this mean we can remove the kill bit (per Security ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: Security issue with making NNTP accessible?
    ... to the best of my knowledge, there has only been one exploit and patch ... for Windows NNTP. ... Microsoft Security Bulletin MS04-036 ... Vulnerability in NNTP Could Allow Remote Code Execution ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Download.ject - commentary - LONG
    ... > patch recently released by Microsoft. ... > vulnerability in question, but instead is just a partial workaround. ... > Granted these are known security best practices related to Internet ... > a new default browser to users and hope that it will be safe enough. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Vulnerability Details for MS02-012
    ... Microsoft released a patch for a denial of service ... vulnerability in the Windows 2000 SMTP component. ... This bug affects all Windows 2000 systems running the SMTP service that have ...
    (Bugtraq)