[Full-Disclosure] Organization for Internet Safety (OIS) form ally announced

From: Ogle Ron (ron.ogle@thomson.net)
Date: 10/01/02

From: ron.ogle@thomson.net (Ogle Ron (Rennes))
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 19:01:46 +0200

You do notice that MITRE is NOT a member. Why? MITRE is mostly a US
Government sponsored organization, and the US Government through Richard
Clark has basically endorsed vulnerability discovery and hacking to put
pressure on companies to produce better software. Kind of ironic, but the
tactic seems to be working.

The point is that Steven speaks for himself not that of MITRE. So if the
security community doesn't put any credence or trust (Microsoft?) into this
group, then it is good as dead on arrival. It is clear that the US
Government will not back it.

The threat would be that Microsoft with its billions would lobby Congress to
enact some type of law. So we have to be vigilant and poignant from a
grass-roots level and let the Congressmen know what is right.

Ron Ogle
Rennes, France

> Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2002 14:22:19 +0300
> From: Georgi Guninski <guninski@guninski.com>
> To: "Steven M. Christey" <coley@linus.mitre.org>
> CC: full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com
> Subject: Re: [Full-Disclosure] Organization for Internet
> Safety (OIS) formally
> announced
>
> So this is a bunch of companies, now what?
> I want to question the credibilty of this bunch.
> Everyone can register an .org and claim to be the most
> important bunch on earth.
>
> Georgi Guninski
> http://www.guninski.com
>
> Steven M. Christey wrote:
> > The founding members are: @stake, BindView, Caldera
> International (The
> > SCO Group), Foundstone, Guardent, ISS, Microsoft, NAI, Oracle, SGI,
> > and Symantec.
> >
> > Note that my employer, MITRE, is not a member of OIS. This often
> > causes confusion because I have been involved in writing documents
> > that OIS may use as part of their own policies.

> > The FAQ should be of high interest to anybody who does vulnerability
> > research.
> >
> > - Steve
> > Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
> > Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

Relevant Pages

  • Re: TAHIRIH JUSTICE CENTER AND ABUSIVE WOMAN-HATERS FRANTIC SPAM
    ... Judith Lichtman (MF board member) or Peter Khan?? ... Sen. Maria Cantwell helped Lobbyists's Clients ... Senate position to help direct more than $11 million in government ... money to projects benefiting the lobbyist's clients. ...
    (talk.religion.bahai)
  • Re: Jew Against Jew
    ... Yisroel "Godwrestler Warriorson" Markov - Boston, MA Member ... But it was the nine homes in Amona - not the ... outposts - that became the preoccupation of the government. ...
    (soc.culture.jewish.moderated)
  • Meet the "commission"
    ... The British and Irish governments formally set up the Independent ... The Alliance Party in the North is a full member, ... Irish government and the Garda? ... Dick Kerr joined the Central Intelligence Agency in 1960. ...
    (soc.culture.irish)
  • Re: Brussels slaps down British threats to rewrite immigration rules
    ... IF and WHEN it is no longer a member, ... they should be bound by 'club' rules which they didn't personally agree ... if you don't like rules that the current government have ... because we delegate that task to our representatives in the same way that we ...
    (uk.legal)
  • Re: When the going gets tough ...
    ... You're not a member of the government, ... >Nobody is saying Condi can't buy shoes. ... >I wish I could say I hear the sound of the tumbrils rolling, ...
    (misc.writing)