[Full-Disclosure] Counseling not to use Windows (was Re: Ano

From: David F. Skoll (full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com)
Date: 07/15/02

From: full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com (David F. Skoll)
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 10:32:58 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 15 Jul 2002, Chris L. Mason wrote:

> However, there's no point in saying "I told you so" either. So, while
> it's unfortunate that these products are still so widely used, it not too
> late. Companies can still make the necessary decisions and more forward
> to ensure a more secure and productive environment.

Amen.

> My post was intended as a simple reminder that even if you've been banging
> your head against the wall for years, it's never too late to stop. :)

Right. And that is why I think security professionals *must* advise clients
to make long-term plans to wean themselves from proven-insecure products.
While security is a process, not a product, the flip side is that
insecurity can indeed result from a specific product. The use of insecure
products can upset even the most careful security process.

So, security professionals who don't mind getting dirty should, by all
means, help their clients patch up their Windows networks. (I happen
to mind getting dirty, so I decline that work.) But all security
professionals should help their clients maintain perspective, and
realize that fighting with Windows is not a long-term viable solution.

(And those same professionals, by the way, should be critical of
developments in the Linux world like GNOME's installer:
"lynx -source url | sh". This is just as bad as the worst Windows design.)

--
David.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Group policy security help
    ... Windows 2000/2003/XP Pro ... > you can configure "always" if your security requires it. ... > Domain Security Policy since you have no downlevel clients. ... > -- Windows 2003 Security Guide. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.group_policy)
  • Re: Group policy security help
    ... Windows 2000/2003/XP Pro ... > you can configure "always" if your security requires it. ... > Domain Security Policy since you have no downlevel clients. ... > -- Windows 2003 Security Guide. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.group_policy)
  • Re: Group policy security help
    ... Windows 2000/2003/XP Pro ... you can configure "always" if your security requires it. ... Domain Security Policy since you have no downlevel clients. ... 2003 Group/security policy it will not apply to Windows 2000 computers. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.group_policy)
  • Unable to logon to Windows XP locally - No logon box
    ... I have an AD domain with one Windows 2000 server and one Windows 2003 ... Mostly Windows 2000 clients, some Windows XP clients. ... The Group Policy client-side extension Security failed to execute. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Event Log losing settings
    ... Windows 2003 Small Business Server ... Clients - Win XP SP2 ... I have an annoying little problem with the security event log on the ... but these settings are not working on ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.group_policy)