[Full-Disclosure] Anonymous surfing my ass!

From: Ron DuFresne (full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com)
Date: 07/15/02

From: full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com (Ron DuFresne)
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2002 19:11:23 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 15 Jul 2002, Nick FitzGerald wrote:

        [SNIP]

> Yes, yes but for many -- and for better or worse, though there's no
> prize for guessing which I think it is -- not using Windows (and
> even such stupidities as not using Outlook, or worse not using Notes)
> is not an option without breaking local "security" policies. As the
> people who are likely to directly benefit most (at all?) from lists
> such as this are the people who have to be seen to be most committed
> to enforcing security policies (even if they are grievously stupid
> policies), throwing out a blanket "don't use Windows" or "don't use
> <pet peeve network client software>" is not a constructive response.
>
> Suggesting sidestepping or subverting the local security policy (I'm
> not saying Chris was -- it could be inferred from his comment, but
> that would be a stretch) is grossly unprofessional (unless the
> suggester is not a security professional, in which case it is just
> common stupidity).

And yet, for those on the corp backbone stuck using broken software, and
unable to login to a system not-so-broked on the inside, perhaps reading
the lists from a hotmail or other account is a better option. Or perhaps
setting up a openbsd or linux system less prone to these exploits
circulating at home might be a better way t avoid some of the hassels with
borked systems on their desktops. It all depends I guess upon how much
effort they wish in invest into their chosen field of
employment/enjoyment.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne
"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity. It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation." -- Johnny Hart
        ***testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!***

OK, so you're a Ph.D. Just don't touch anything.