[Full-Disclosure] Anonymous surfing my ass!

From: Ron DuFresne (full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com)
Date: 07/15/02

From: full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com (Ron DuFresne)
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2002 19:11:23 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 15 Jul 2002, Nick FitzGerald wrote:

        [SNIP]

> Yes, yes but for many -- and for better or worse, though there's no
> prize for guessing which I think it is -- not using Windows (and
> even such stupidities as not using Outlook, or worse not using Notes)
> is not an option without breaking local "security" policies. As the
> people who are likely to directly benefit most (at all?) from lists
> such as this are the people who have to be seen to be most committed
> to enforcing security policies (even if they are grievously stupid
> policies), throwing out a blanket "don't use Windows" or "don't use
> <pet peeve network client software>" is not a constructive response.
>
> Suggesting sidestepping or subverting the local security policy (I'm
> not saying Chris was -- it could be inferred from his comment, but
> that would be a stretch) is grossly unprofessional (unless the
> suggester is not a security professional, in which case it is just
> common stupidity).

And yet, for those on the corp backbone stuck using broken software, and
unable to login to a system not-so-broked on the inside, perhaps reading
the lists from a hotmail or other account is a better option. Or perhaps
setting up a openbsd or linux system less prone to these exploits
circulating at home might be a better way t avoid some of the hassels with
borked systems on their desktops. It all depends I guess upon how much
effort they wish in invest into their chosen field of
employment/enjoyment.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity. It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation." -- Johnny Hart
        ***testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!***

OK, so you're a Ph.D. Just don't touch anything.

Relevant Pages

  • [Full-Disclosure] Anonymous surfing my ass!
    ... > even such stupidities as not using Outlook, ... > is not an option without breaking local "security" policies. ... > Suggesting sidestepping or subverting the local security policy (I'm ... the lists from a hotmail or other account is a better option. ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • [Full-Disclosure] Anonymous surfing my ass!
    ... > even such stupidities as not using Outlook, ... > is not an option without breaking local "security" policies. ... > Suggesting sidestepping or subverting the local security policy (I'm ... the lists from a hotmail or other account is a better option. ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • [Full-Disclosure] Anonymous surfing my ass!
    ... > even such stupidities as not using Outlook, ... > is not an option without breaking local "security" policies. ... > Suggesting sidestepping or subverting the local security policy (I'm ... the lists from a hotmail or other account is a better option. ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • RE: PAWS security vulnerability
    ... FreeBSD security list" isn't grammatically correct. ... "I told you to post the patch and info to the appropriate FreeBSD security ... "...This point and others are often discussed on the mailing lists, ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • May I have permission to travel???????
    ... ""Homeland Security Tightens Grip on International Travel ... The Department of Homeland Security proposed new rules back in July ... These lists ... Instead of providing a passenger manifest after departure as now ...
    (alt.true-crime)