Re: FreeBSD Security in Multiuser Environments

On Sun, Apr 01, 2012 at 10:49:31AM +0200, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
schultz@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
* Encrypted the whole (except /boot) system with geli(8)
(HMAC/SHA256 and AES-XTS). It is not as nice and much slower
than proper filesystem-level checksumming but it is what
FreeBSD provides (ZFS is too unstable).

ZFS is stable enough, but I'm a little confused: encryption is not
"checksumming", and ZFS provides checksums but not encryption.

Also, on-disk encryption provides no additional protection against
system users. It protects the data when no keys are available (for
example when your turned off laptop is stolen) and in running system
keys are in memory and disks are decrypted, so users that are logged in
have access to decrypted content. To protect file system content from
system users one should use standard UNIX permissions and ACLs.

--
Pawel Jakub Dawidek http://www.wheelsystems.com
FreeBSD committer http://www.FreeBSD.org

  • Re: FreeBSD Security in Multiuser Environments
    ... FreeBSD provides (ZFS is too unstable). ... "checksumming", and ZFS provides checksums but not encryption. ... I'm not sure what "made sudo setuid only to users in sudoers" means. ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • Re: alternative file systems
    ... So this is a rather new feature. ... I prefer trusty mdadm for any RAID. ... ZFS would provide efficient redundancy and be ... And not having the checksumming has never caused a problem for me, ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: TM-Platte: Geboren, Gelebt, Gestorben, Reanimiert
    ... Dann hoffe ich stark, dass Du dann nicht auf ZFS setzt, denn ZFS ohne ... ECC-RAM ist einfach nur kontraproduktiv (und wirkt sich aufgrund des ... Wenn man alte Hardware mittels FreeNAS recycelt, ... man Checksumming nutzen ...
    (de.comp.sys.mac.misc)
  • Re: where is zfs metadata stored
    ... read corrupt files all day long like nothing is wrong. ... If there is no checksumming you don't know when the data ... According to multiple tests silent data corruption is ... Actually ZFS is already much more mature than VxVM/VxFS offering. ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)