Re: Reasonable expectations of sysadmins

On 10/11/11 3:52 AM, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
Mike Brown<mike@xxxxxxxx> writes:
Also, sometimes things go haywire after a reboot, especially after extended
uptime and updates to the kernel or core libraries, so I'm in the habit of
only shutting down when necessary. So if I don't see "and then reboot" in an
update procedure - and most of the time, security updates don't require it -
then I don't do it.
Actually, this is an argument in favor of rebooting regularly, or at
least after every major change, so you know the server will boot
unassisted if something happens (power outage, cleaning staff tripped
over the mains cable, etc.) I once spent an entire evening coaxing a
mission-critical database server back up after a simple disk replacement
because a predecessor had performed an in-place system upgrade without
verifying that the new configuration would boot cleanly.

DES
FWIW: If I have a production server which has been up and running for
more than six months, I often reboot the machine *before* making some
significant change, just to make sure the machine is still in working
order before I make that change. I then make the change, and reboot
again. There are times where I have discovered problems in that first
reboot.

(also note that in my case, most production servers which have been up
for more than six months have probably been up for more than a year)

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn = gad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Senior Systems Programmer or gad@xxxxxxxxxxx

  • Re: Sudden Reboot
    ... I keep seeing 2 types of error message here- ... PerfNet Event ID 2004 Can't open Server service. ... >> security updates following SP 2) I've had a problem with my system ... >> problem or conflict, I think, decides to give up the ghost and reboot. ...
  • Re: Question to Restart After Win Updates Installed - No Button Greyed
    ... We experience the excapt same problem, only on a Terminal Server (and wsus ... this should download and install updates set to ... > having the computers automatically reboot is negated by this button being ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Question to Restart After Win Updates Installed - No Button Greyed
    ... We experience the excapt same problem, only on a Terminal Server (and wsus ... this should download and install updates set to ... > having the computers automatically reboot is negated by this button being ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Strange reboot occurance
    ... I have automatic updates turned off for that reason. ... the night and this sometimes forces an automatic reboot of the server. ... will continue to function and will use the existing security settings. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Windows Update Has Locked Up Computer
    ... I have the same problem on my Windows 2000 Advanced Server!! ... After the 4/13/2004 updates, the server reboots fine and all the ... reboot the server! ... the restart begins extremely slowly. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)