Re: Reasonable expectations of sysadmins

Mike Brown <mike@xxxxxxxx> writes:
Also, sometimes things go haywire after a reboot, especially after extended
uptime and updates to the kernel or core libraries, so I'm in the habit of
only shutting down when necessary. So if I don't see "and then reboot" in an
update procedure - and most of the time, security updates don't require it -
then I don't do it.

Actually, this is an argument in favor of rebooting regularly, or at
least after every major change, so you know the server will boot
unassisted if something happens (power outage, cleaning staff tripped
over the mains cable, etc.) I once spent an entire evening coaxing a
mission-critical database server back up after a simple disk replacement
because a predecessor had performed an in-place system upgrade without
verifying that the new configuration would boot cleanly.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des@xxxxxx

  • Re: Side-by-side configuration incorrect for 5 programs
    ... Next time don't ignore the warnings about not shutting down the computer while updates are in progress. ... if any new emails pop up, I use Audacity to edit music, and now with ... on this laptop, and not being able to do so worries and frustrates me. ...
  • Re: My computer keeps turning itself on??
    ... "porsche" wrote in message ... > "wollang" wrote: ... >> of updates on Window's Update page. ... >> screen appears, but then, instead of shutting down, I get a screen ...
  • Re: [opensuse] Shutting down issue with openSUSE v11.2
    ... I'll try doing the updates today. ... when I try shutting down my machine, it starts the shutdown process, ... gets stuck there and it doesn't go beyond this point. ... For additional commands, e-mail: opensuse+help@xxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Not to Allow Shutdown.
    ... MS Updates is only an example. ... What I am looking for is a way to prevent ANY program from shutting down (and/or restarting) the system. ... I don't want XP updates to shutdown and restart my system. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize)
  • RE: My computer keeps turning itself on??
    ... > of updates on Window's Update page. ... After I did this my shutdown system ... the 'windows is shutting down' ... > screen appears, but then, instead of shutting down, I get a screen stating ...