Re: Rooting FreeBSD , Privilege Escalation using Jails (P??????tur)

On Mon, May 09, 2011 at 09:12:49PM -0400, Jason Hellenthal wrote:

Jamie,
Tip: Quick way to lock your system down to only root: ( chmod g= / )
***Emergency Use Only**** "molly guard not present" "slippery when throbbed"

Side effect of that is its not really nice for processes
that run with lower privileges and isn't always apparent why things are
not working correctly so its best to just use nologin or drop to SU.

It used to confuzzle sysadmins on SUNos when the mount point was
0700. The underlying mode disapeared when the mount was made, but it
was still being enforced. Suddenly no one but root could use say /usr
even though it was apparently 0755

- Diane
--
- db@xxxxxxxxxxx db@xxxxxx http://www.db.net/~db
Why leave money to our children if we don't leave them the Earth?