Re: Rooting FreeBSD , Privilege Escalation using Jails (P??????tur)

On Sun, May 08, 2011 at 09:15:28AM +0700, Edho P Arief wrote:
On Sun, May 8, 2011 at 5:31 AM, Jamie Landeg Jones <jamie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
All the same, I've sent a PR [1] with some doc patches to make people
more aware of this -- fulfilling my promise of 2+ years ago :S

Um. Some problems here.

A jail won't work for not-root users if the jail root directory is chmod 700 - although
there is obviously a 'chroot' running withing the jail, the jailed user still needs
to have read permission from the hosts / -- chmod 700 therefore locks all non-root
users out.

It's weird - I don't remember having such problem after setting jails'
root directory permission to 700. I don't have the system anymore so I
can't verify it just yet.

It should also be noted here that the jailed root user also has permission
to chmod(1) '/' to anything he or she wants unless you have taken
precaution to not allow that. I would reccoment storing your jails two
levels deep into a directory and chmod(1) 700 the first level to prevent
access from the host and from the jailed root user changing the perms.

Regards, (jhell)
Jason Hellenthal