Re: Add SHA-256/512 hash algorithm to crypt(3) (kern/124164)

On Jan 30, 2011, at 16:22, Mark Murray wrote:

Just as a first cut, I'm going to "FreeBSD-ify" the code, to get it
up to our style(9) standards. Apart from stylistic issues, we already
have SHA256 and SHA512 in our libraries, and they don't have alignment
issues, So I'll use them instead. You've donated to code to "public
domain"; any objection if I make this a BSD 2-clause license with
FreeBSD as the copyright holder? Many places have weird problems with
the concept of "public domain", and 2-clause BSD is pretty darned close.

The patch and PR is not mine. I'm just an interested by-stander. :)

It was massage for FreeBSD by KIMURA Yasuhiro (see PR). AFAICT, the public domain part is from the code provided by Ulrich Drepper (drepper-at-akkadia.org; his RH e-mail bounces):

http://www.akkadia.org/drepper/sha-crypt.html
http://www.akkadia.org/drepper/SHA-crypt.txt

Not sure which of the two would need to be contacted for the change: one? both? RH as well?

(Open)Solaris is another project that incorporates the code if that matters:

http://src.opensolaris.org/source/search?q=Drepper
http://arc.opensolaris.org/caselog/PSARC/2007/642/
http://mail.opensolaris.org/pipermail/security-discuss/2007-December/002070.html_______________________________________________

  • Re: Non GNU libc wanted
    ... Are you looking for one as complete as GNU libc? ... If so, the BSD ... libraries and was, probably still is, non-GPL licensed. ... PDPCLIB is Public Domain ...
    (comp.lang.misc)
  • Re: Type casting
    ... If you're releasing a library into the public domain, for example, you might ensure your code doesn't break because someone else is running in an environment in which register_globals is on. ... I understand what you mean, but when it comes to something as simple as declaring your variables before hand, there's really no reason not to, since it can often avoid raising notices as well. ... I didn't mean to make libraries that depend on register_globals. ...
    (comp.lang.php)
  • Re: Type casting
    ... If you're releasing a library into the ... public domain, for example, you might ensure your code doesn't break ... simple as declaring your variables before hand, ... didn't mean to make libraries that depend on register_globals. ...
    (comp.lang.php)
  • Re: [Full-Disclosure] MacOSX -FreeBSD
    ... FreeBSD libraries 5.0/5.1 BSD ... CCE's fax 0.9a-001114 GPL ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: FreeBSD 7.1 Content
    ... Has FreeBSD 7.1 REALLY filled up 189 MB with bug fixes and new hardware support? ... BSD has source code -- which I personally would rather have than GIMP, etc. -- but do the sources take up that much room? ... Here is a quick list of the libraries that Firefox 3.0 requires, ... Notice this includes some of X (but I am sure some of these libraries include other libraries that are not included in this total. ...
    (freebsd-stable)