Re: Add SHA-256/512 hash algorithm to crypt(3) (kern/124164)

On Jan 30, 2011, at 16:22, Mark Murray wrote:

Just as a first cut, I'm going to "FreeBSD-ify" the code, to get it
up to our style(9) standards. Apart from stylistic issues, we already
have SHA256 and SHA512 in our libraries, and they don't have alignment
issues, So I'll use them instead. You've donated to code to "public
domain"; any objection if I make this a BSD 2-clause license with
FreeBSD as the copyright holder? Many places have weird problems with
the concept of "public domain", and 2-clause BSD is pretty darned close.

The patch and PR is not mine. I'm just an interested by-stander. :)

It was massage for FreeBSD by KIMURA Yasuhiro (see PR). AFAICT, the public domain part is from the code provided by Ulrich Drepper (drepper-at-akkadia.org; his RH e-mail bounces):

http://www.akkadia.org/drepper/sha-crypt.html
http://www.akkadia.org/drepper/SHA-crypt.txt

Not sure which of the two would need to be contacted for the change: one? both? RH as well?

(Open)Solaris is another project that incorporates the code if that matters:

http://src.opensolaris.org/source/search?q=Drepper
http://arc.opensolaris.org/caselog/PSARC/2007/642/
http://mail.opensolaris.org/pipermail/security-discuss/2007-December/002070.html_______________________________________________