Re: HEADS UP: FreeBSD 6.4 and 8.0 EoLs coming soon

On Wed, 1 Sep 2010, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:

- Or whatever other method to get ISDN back in kernel ?

It seems code exists :-)

http://old.nabble.com/ISDN4BSD-on-8-current-td23919925.html
ISDN4BSD package has been updated to compile on FreeBSD
8-current

http://www.selasky.org/hans_petter/isdn4bsd/

Apparently needs massaging into main FreeBSD tree.

I agree that my I4B code should be re-written somewhat before committed. Possibly we should update the API's present too, to support IP-telephony aswell.

Just to clarify things a little for those following it: the original I4B code was removed for entirely practical reasons: it couldn't run without the Giant lock, and support for the Giant lock over the network stack was removed. I'm happy to see ISDN support reintroduced as long as it will see ongoing maintenance/etc.

I'm not familiar with Hans's most recent code, but the integration of his USB stack and his recent receipt of a FreeBSD commit bit suggest a promising future. I would suggest trying to rope in a reveiwer and collaborator (perhaps someone like Bjoern Zeeb?) to work through it before considering a merge, however. This is especially important with projects like VIMAGE, network stack parallelism projects, etc, on-going to make sure that the new ISDN code will be able to support these new features rather than become a potential obstacle (as the old code did for the MPSAFEty work).

Robert

  • [FreeBSD-Announce] March-April 2004 FreeBSD Status Report
    ... the next big focus will be FreeBSD 5.3. ... the cpufreq driver requires newbus ... Support code for this should be committed at the ... Work on this project has been stalled due to some other network stack ...
    (freebsd-announce)
  • March-April 2004 FreeBSD Status Report
    ... the next big focus will be FreeBSD 5.3. ... the cpufreq driver requires newbus ... Support code for this should be committed at the ... Work on this project has been stalled due to some other network stack ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • March-April 2004 FreeBSD Status Report
    ... the next big focus will be FreeBSD 5.3. ... the cpufreq driver requires newbus ... Support code for this should be committed at the ... Work on this project has been stalled due to some other network stack ...
    (freebsd-hackers)
  • March-April 2004 FreeBSD Status Report
    ... the next big focus will be FreeBSD 5.3. ... the cpufreq driver requires newbus ... Support code for this should be committed at the ... Work on this project has been stalled due to some other network stack ...
    (freebsd-stable)
  • FreeBSD Status Report January-March, 2010
    ... This report covers FreeBSD related projects between January and March ... that our committers are keeping up with the latest trends in the OS ... EFI support for FreeBSD/i386 ...
    (freebsd-current)