Re: tripwire and device numbers

In message <201003041953.o24JrDhi038522@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Mike Tancsa writes:

While getting a box ready for deployment, I noticed on two occasions,
I would get some exception reports flagging all files as the
underlying device number through reboots had changed. Is this
"normal" for Tripwire and FreeBSD ? (RELENG_7)

Yes, device numbers in freebsd carry no meaning, unless it is
a compat /dev directory to boot ancient systems (SunOS, very
old FreeBSD etc) diskless.

In general, tripwire should ignore devfs and possibly all pseudo-fs
mount-points.

phk@xxxxxxxxxxx | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer | BSD since 4.3-tahoe