Re: tripwire and device numbers

In message <201003041953.o24JrDhi038522@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Mike Tancsa writes:

While getting a box ready for deployment, I noticed on two occasions,
I would get some exception reports flagging all files as the
underlying device number through reboots had changed. Is this
"normal" for Tripwire and FreeBSD ? (RELENG_7)

Yes, device numbers in freebsd carry no meaning, unless it is
a compat /dev directory to boot ancient systems (SunOS, very
old FreeBSD etc) diskless.

In general, tripwire should ignore devfs and possibly all pseudo-fs
mount-points.

phk@xxxxxxxxxxx | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer | BSD since 4.3-tahoe

  • Re: tripwire and device numbers
    ... underlying device number through reboots had changed. ... "normal" for Tripwire and FreeBSD? ... FreeBSD does not have fixed device numbers, ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • Re: tripwire and device numbers
    ... the underlying device number through reboots had changed. ... Yes, device numbers in freebsd carry no meaning, unless it is a compat ... tripwire should ignore devfs and possibly all pseudo-fs ... Nothing to do with devfs; IIUC, ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • FreeBSD 6.1 & 6.2 hanging and/or spontaneous rebooting
    ... I need Help with a FBSD spontaneous rebooting and freezing issue. ... I'm new to FreeBSD, but I've some experience with Linux, so FreeBSD isn't ... worked fine under FBSD until I dial up the internet and start browsing, ... the spontaneous reboots and hangs only happen when I dial up the ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Strange reboot since 9.1
    ... i have enabled dumpdev="AUTO" and run kgdb after a reboot. ... Since FreeBSD 9.1 I have strange problems with the ... servers are rebooting without any kernel panic, ... month without any reboots. ...
    (freebsd-stable)
  • Re: 5.X Tripwire Policy File
    ... An unofficial freebsd ... > tuning my tripwire policy file. ... > # provided the copyright notice and this permission notice are preserved on all ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)