Re: tripwire and device numbers

Mike Tancsa <mike@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
While getting a box ready for deployment, I noticed on two occasions,
I would get some exception reports flagging all files as the
underlying device number through reboots had changed. Is this
"normal" for Tripwire and FreeBSD ?

FreeBSD does not have fixed device numbers, they are allocated on the
fly as each device attaches. I don't know if there is a way around
this.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des@xxxxxx

  • Re: tripwire and device numbers
    ... underlying device number through reboots had changed. ... Yes, device numbers in freebsd carry no meaning, unless it is ... tripwire should ignore devfs and possibly all pseudo-fs ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • Re: tripwire and device numbers
    ... the underlying device number through reboots had changed. ... Yes, device numbers in freebsd carry no meaning, unless it is a compat ... tripwire should ignore devfs and possibly all pseudo-fs ... Nothing to do with devfs; IIUC, ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • FreeBSD 6.1 & 6.2 hanging and/or spontaneous rebooting
    ... I need Help with a FBSD spontaneous rebooting and freezing issue. ... I'm new to FreeBSD, but I've some experience with Linux, so FreeBSD isn't ... worked fine under FBSD until I dial up the internet and start browsing, ... the spontaneous reboots and hangs only happen when I dial up the ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Strange reboot since 9.1
    ... i have enabled dumpdev="AUTO" and run kgdb after a reboot. ... Since FreeBSD 9.1 I have strange problems with the ... servers are rebooting without any kernel panic, ... month without any reboots. ...
    (freebsd-stable)
  • Re: 5.X Tripwire Policy File
    ... An unofficial freebsd ... > tuning my tripwire policy file. ... > # provided the copyright notice and this permission notice are preserved on all ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)