Re: emacs installs a lot of 777 directories

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 20:31:21 +0100, Eirik Øverby <ltning@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 16. mars. 2009, at 00.50, freebsd001@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Dear Giorgos,
thank you for coming back to the emacs issue. I deinstalled
emacs by means of pkg_delete -v -d, deleted by hand
/usr/local/share/emacs to make sure that nothing is left,
logged in as user "nutzer", and did su to root:

id
uid=1006(nutzer) gid=1000(user) groups=1000(user),0(wheel)
su
Password:

Try 'su -' instead of 'su'.
There might be some environment issues; I've seen similar behavior
when making that mistake myself.

This is correct. `su -' should be preferred when installing stuff :)

Absolutely - but I can't find where it(7) actually says that?

cheers, Ian_______________________________________________

  • Re: A good IDE for C development?
    ... On 2004/10/24, at 6:45, Giorgos Keramidas wrote: ... >> ctags is my way. ... > Since you are learning, you might as well learn to work without the ... how did you guys learn to configure emacs? ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: control character file names
    ... Giorgos Keramidas wrote: ... I'd love to use emacs but I go into 'dired-mode' and I try to rename the ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: emacs installs a lot of 777 directories
    ... thank you for coming back to the emacs issue. ... logged in as user "nutzer", ... when making that mistake myself. ... `su -' should be preferred when installing stuff:) ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • Re: SGML editing: psgml mode in emacs not working as described
    ... http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-emacs/ which steps one through installing psgml as an emacs mode and then setting catalogs and all that. ... It's all fine until I come to actually do something with the psgml mode. ... The screenshot in the Developerworks article (direct link at http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-emacs/emacspsgmlcallout.gif) shows a whole list of menu items - SGML, Modify, Move, Markup, View and DTD, but all I have is "SGML". ... The primary thing is to make sure that your .emacs file contains a line telling Emacs where to find add-one like psgml. ...
    (comp.text.sgml)
  • Re: problem in configuring BEE-mode toolbar in Bigloo Scheme in GNU Emacs 22.1.1 on Windows XP
    ... which is necessary for installing the BEE (the Bigloo ... Jake's Big Blog - Installing Bigloohttp://jacobmiles.blogspot.com/2005_06_01_archive.html ... I'm using GNU Emacs 22.1.1. ... "Maximize the selected FRAME." ...
    (comp.lang.scheme)