Re: emacs installs a lot of 777 directories

March 16, 2009
Dear Giorgos,

thank you for coming back to the emacs issue. I deinstalled
emacs by means of pkg_delete -v -d, deleted by hand
/usr/local/share/emacs to make sure that nothing is left,
logged in as user "nutzer", and did su to root:

id
uid=1006(nutzer) gid=1000(user) groups=1000(user),0(wheel)
su
Password:
id
uid=0(root) gid=0(wheel) groups=0(wheel),5(operator)

Then, I did cd to /usr/ports/editors/emacs and did make and
make install. The result is as follows:

pwd
/usr/local/share/emacs/22.3
ll
total 22
drwxrwxrwx 5 nutzer wheel 3072 Mar 15 23:52 etc
drwxr-xr-x 4 nutzer wheel 512 Mar 15 23:53 leim
drwxrwxrwx 20 nutzer wheel 13312 Mar 15 23:53 lisp
drwxr-xr-x 2 root wheel 512 Mar 15 23:52 site-lisp

There are some rwx directories as originally mentioned in
the thread, and several directories as well as the files in
these directories are not owned by root, but by nutzer.

If I log in as another user in the group wheel, do su, and
repeat the procedure, the files are owned by the other user
I log in.

As I have only limited console access or find the console
access inconvenient, I have installed many ports by logging
in as a user in the group wheel and doing su to root. But
only emacs related files are owned by somebody else than
expected.

With best regards
Joachim Griesche

freebsd001@xxxxxxxxx

  • Re: What are these for?
    ... change it and root *is* a user. ... Since neither ls nor emacs is written to use polkit, ... Then polkit doesn't do me any good. ... the request and whether the user is allowed to give it that permission ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: What are these for?
    ... Only root can read the logfile. ... That's why you would need extra authentication to change it. ... Since neither ls nor emacs is written to use polkit, ... Then polkit doesn't do me any good. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: What are these for?
    ... Only root can read the logfile. ... it decreases security instead of increasing it. ... Starting/running a web browser is a security relevant task. ... security risk and because emacs could display and modify files that ...
    (Fedora)
  • "Cannot allocate colormap entry"
    ... [root@localhost root]# XFree86 -version ... # xterm -version ... # emacs -version ... emacs*pointerColor: Orchid ...
    (comp.os.linux.x)
  • Re: emacs installs a lot of 777 directories
    ... thank you for coming back to the emacs issue. ... these directories are not owned by root, but by nutzer. ... As I have only limited console access or find the console ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)