Re: emacs installs a lot of 777 directories

On Fri, 2009-03-06 at 11:15 +0900, Randy Bush wrote:
foo.on.you:/usr/local/share# find . -type d -perm 777
./emacs/22.3/etc/tree-widget
./emacs/22.3/etc/tree-widget/folder
./emacs/22.3/etc/tree-widget/default
./emacs/22.3/etc/e
./emacs/22.3/etc/images
./emacs/22.3/etc/images/low-color
./emacs/22.3/etc/images/gnus
./emacs/22.3/etc/images/icons
./emacs/22.3/etc/images/gud
./emacs/22.3/etc/images/smilies
./emacs/22.3/etc/images/mail
./emacs/22.3/etc/images/ezimage
./emacs/22.3/lisp
./emacs/22.3/lisp/net
./emacs/22.3/lisp/progmodes
./emacs/22.3/lisp/calc
./emacs/22.3/lisp/emacs-lisp
./emacs/22.3/lisp/url
./emacs/22.3/lisp/emulation
./emacs/22.3/lisp/play
./emacs/22.3/lisp/erc
./emacs/22.3/lisp/term
./emacs/22.3/lisp/obsolete
./emacs/22.3/lisp/textmodes
./emacs/22.3/lisp/mail
./emacs/22.3/lisp/eshell
./emacs/22.3/lisp/calendar
./emacs/22.3/lisp/mh-e
./emacs/22.3/lisp/international
./emacs/22.3/lisp/gnus
./emacs/22.3/lisp/language
./emacs/22.3/leim/ja-dic
./emacs/22.3/leim/quail

Could this simply be an over promiscuous umask being set when Emacs was
installed? ie. umask 000 rather than the default umask 022 for root?

I know I get warnings if attempting to install a package with a umask
077 which means no-one except the installer can access the files.

Do packages print a warning to screen if umask 000 is set?

Regards,
Daniel

  • Re: umask and CPAN installs
    ... Normally when I install programs this is not a problem. ... You could fashion a script to set your umask to something less ... restrictive, run the CPAN shell, then unset the umask. ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)
  • Re: umask
    ... >> Some applications require a less strict umask to install files correctly ... >> either and it can be a headache finding out which file perms are ... apps - real nightmare finding out which apps installed perms with dodgy ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: emacs installs a lot of 777 directories
    ... Are you doing make install as a user and letting the port escalate ... Login via tty as root, check umask and install port ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • Re: firefox 3 not starting RHEL ES 4
    ... nowhere since their viewpoint is my "non-standard umask" is my problem. ... This is a non-trivial exercise when the install count is beyond a small ... I use Satellite to push out my updates, ... subdirectory) where libpangocairo had permissions of 700. ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: umask and CPAN installs
    ... Normally when I install programs this is not a problem. ... > with the umask, and thus nobody can use them except root. ... to do this in CPAN. ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)