Re: ports/128999: [vuxml] [patch] update audio/streamripper to 1.64.0, fix CVE-2008-4829

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 11:06:56PM +0100, William Palfreman wrote:
That's nice. I am sure it is very useful on the ports mailinglist
where it belongs. I also greatly enjoy the frequent interesting and
informed discussion on the security mailinglist - of which Eirik
Overby's thread recently about syn+fin is one example. But all these
ports announcements, raw patches, garbled html etc. I could really do
without. It is why there are separate lists.

Was there a discussion or even an announcement indicating that the
security-related port commit messages would be sent to freebsd-security?
This seems to have started just this month. Like William, I also find the
explosion of commit messages and bug tracking minutia detracts from the
low volume and high value of the freebsd-security list. The list
description on mailman indicates the intent of the list is to be a
'high-signal, low-noise discussion of issues affecting the security of
FreeBSD.' Including every single obliquely security related port commit
seems counter to this intention.

I'd very much like to see a separate list for the automated port postings,
leaving this list to it's historical usage.

David

  • RE: PAWS security vulnerability
    ... FreeBSD security list" isn't grammatically correct. ... "I told you to post the patch and info to the appropriate FreeBSD security ... "...This point and others are often discussed on the mailing lists, ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • May I have permission to travel???????
    ... ""Homeland Security Tightens Grip on International Travel ... The Department of Homeland Security proposed new rules back in July ... These lists ... Instead of providing a passenger manifest after departure as now ...
    (alt.true-crime)
  • RE: PAWS security vulnerability
    ... You STILL haven't taken this to the correct security mailing list, ... > FreeBSD security ... >>lists, and you aren't the least bit interested in doing what ... >>appropriate forum to post the patch, ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • [NEWS] Cisco IOS Stack Group Bidding Protocol Crafted Packet DoS
    ... Get your security news from a reliable source. ... The SGBP implementation provided by the Cisco Internetwork Operating ... This vulnerability affects any device that runs Cisco IOS and has enabled ... to apply Access Control Lists to prevent untrusted hosts from ...
    (Securiteam)
  • [Full-Disclosure] "Fud, lies and libel" against (type any name here, Ill use mi2g)
    ... I am a usual reader of all the major security lists and I laughed ... I'm not affiliated with mi2g. ... questioning the authenticity of the postings) with false vulnerabilities, ...
    (Full-Disclosure)