Re: machine hangs on occasion - correlated with ssh break-in attempts

Ross Wheeler написав(ла):
I overcame these conflicting requirements with a 2-step process. They "authorised" user first browsed to a website which asked their username and password. When entered correctly, it opened a hole in the firewall to allow that IP to their network. A timer ran every 15 minutes to close the hole (but was over-ridden by the web page which kept refreshing every 10 mins). The last part may not be necessary for you, but this may be a possible workaround for your traveling access. Leave a default of deny any except from trusted, fixed hosts, and add transient access as required.
This approach (or port-knocking of some sort) is good, but I'm not that worried about the sshd itself -- and the /detected/ attacks against it. It is the /undetected/ attacks against other services (such as apache), that worry me, and locking-out a rogue IP-address /completely/ is what I'd like to do. So your method would not work for me -- reaching the web-page (to allow myself a way back in) will be just as impossible as reaching the ssh-port... Thanks. Yours,

-mi

  • Re: machine hangs on occasion - correlated with ssh break-in attempts
    ... A timer ran every 15 minutes to close the hole. ... The last part may not be necessary for you, but this may be a possible workaround for your traveling access. ... It is the /undetected/ attacks against other services, that worry me, and locking-out a rogue IP-address /completely/ is what I'd like to do. ... So your method would not work for me -- reaching the web-page will be just as impossible as reaching the ssh-port... ...
    (freebsd-stable)
  • Re: The lies of Tiny Mikey, Cliffy, Doony revealed
    ... Anything Berman writes get flamed by CTFF or Bob. ... The attacks on Strevel are uncalled for and EE ended a lot of lies from many ... >> friend is the sad truth about the hole in the ass gang. ...
    (alt.vacation.las-vegas)
  • Re: [Full-disclosure] Secuirty Hole Found In Daves Sock
    ... Is anybody else seeing these attacks? ... Is this the China hackers again? ... I think I saw a hole last week, but my logs aren't that great so I'm ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: Strange blue jay behavior
    ... Very strange though..I can't imagine what he was doing! ... Unless maybe there was a hole in the ground and he's reaching his beak ...
    (rec.birds)