Re: A new kind of security needed

On Jul 24, 2008, at 4:20 PM, Matthew Dillon wrote:

I think the best way to approach the problem is to work out the desired
userland API first... find the easiest and most convenient way to wrap
an application, what kind of features are desired, etc, and then
implement it.

I think Szilveszter Adam was right to point out that any such system needs to work with the user, and support what the user needs in a way that fits well with they interact with an application. Rather than being the easiest and most convenient (for the developer), the API should be the simplest means to provide what the user needs. That may have been what you meant when you said "what kinds of features are desired", though.

There's a great book that covers a wide range of security and usability topics called *Security and Usability: Designing Secure Systems That People Can Use*, by Cranor and Garfinkel. I highly recommend it.

http://books.google.com/books?id=wDVhy9EyEAEC&dq=lorrie+faith+cranor+simson+garfinkel+usable+security&pg=PP1&ots=BOKHuIHr2u&sig=e-DoE4ap0ldkxffFqUs8LaROmYc&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result