Re: [Fwd: cvs commit: ports/dns/bind9 Makefile distinfo ports/dns/bind94 Makefile distinfo ports/dns/bind95 Makefile distinfo]

Doug Barton wrote:
However, named is still picking a "random" UDP port on startup and
locking it down (2 if you're also using IPv6) although it's not
immediately clear to me why.

And the answer is .... in order to make the -P1 releases as clean as possible, that part of the code was not touched (which I think is a very good decision) and that port may continue to see use down the road.

hope this helps,

Doug

  • Re: Running the network stack without Giant -- change in default coming
    ... > protect whole IPv6 code only with Giant without network stack Giant? ... but I think a better strategy would be for us to complete the locking work ... - We need to review TCP/UDP locking, which was mirrored from the IPv4 ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Re: carp for IPv6?
    ... On 07/04/2011 21:20, Doug Barton wrote: ... There are no examples for IPv6 in the man page, ... I'm interested in configuration for the command ... Nothin' ever doesn't change, but nothin' changes much. ...
    (freebsd-net)
  • Re: cvs commit: src/sys/conf options src/sys/sys kernel.h src/sys/net netisr.c
    ... >> will cause the network stack to operate without the Giant lock by ... > until the locking of IPv6 is done? ... so I think it is probably reasonable to run w/o Giant ... Regarding IPv6: significant parts of IPv6 are safe in an MPSAFE ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Re: locking
    ... > implementation, parts of IPv6, and some device drivers, which are not yet ... We wanted to have fine-grained locking (BeOS/Haiku emphasizes on ... fine-grained locking and maybe trying out iovecs instead of mbufs. ... IPv6 is not too urgent at the moment. ...
    (freebsd-net)
  • Re: Changing time causes ipv6 panics
    ... Doug Barton said: ... able to reproduce the panic I was seeing, ... Open a connection to a remote host over IPv6 ... If so, it's surprising that my patch fixes it as well, since the above ...
    (freebsd-net)